Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogerx
    replied
    Just copy the Linux kernel NTFS driver code to GitHub...

Over time, the NTFS code on GitHub will magically stabilize, making GitHub more famous.

Leave a comment:

• uxmkt
    replied
    In the time between two changes, code is always orphaned :-D

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerx View Post
    ... think the Paragon developers are very busy reverse engineering other projects.

Their NTFS driver has likely already made the majority of the profits, especially with a recently open sourced exFat filesystem, the demand for NTFS will likely further wane.

I use exFat filesystem on large shared partitions between Windows and Linux for shared file storage, granted, no de-fragmenting utility, but at least the open sourced exFAT driver has code integrity unlike other hacks or attempts. Prior, I was using UDF filesystem for shared Windows and Linux partitions.
    They have 200+ employees all over the world, the NTFS driver was not the majority of their profits; that would be their backup software.

Leave a comment:

• caligula
    replied
    Originally posted by issy View Post

The ntfs-3g GitHub repository shows 73 releases, one or two releases in recent years. The latest one was eight months ago.
    It was added to Github only recently. Previously you had to download some archive from Tuxera's page. It was pretty hidden, not accessible via the links on their site. Had to use google.

Leave a comment:

• photom
    replied
    I'm kind of disappointed that the ntfs3 kernel module produces a corrupt filesystem in 10-30 min on my SSDs/classic HDDs - I tried many times now to get closer to where the error originates. (Afterwards booting into Win10 to fix the filesystem with chkdsk, then boot back into linux). I reverted back to NTFS-3G now and there is no more corruption, like it was the last years of heavy use. And I have some very IO heavy use cases (like a few TB sized sqlite databases with a lot of updates).

So contrary to some other reports here, NTFS-3G works stable at my end, but ntfs3 kernel module corrupts the filesystem.

Looking at the mailing list there are a lot of errors reported starting april 22 -> https://lore.kernel.org/ntfs3/

Leave a comment:

• brucethemoose
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

I've had swap disabled both in Linux and in Windows for more than a decade now. People who insist on SWAP presence even if you have plenty of RAM (I rock 64GB on my desktop and 16GB on my laptop) don't understand why it's needed. I've never used hibernate either because I've got SSDs all around and I don't want to write gigabytes of data to save a few seconds of boot time. Then I'm not even sure hibernation with an SSD is faster than a cold boot. It might not even be the case.

As for writing to Linux partitions from Windows - I've always avoided that. There are no good/totally safe ext4 FS drivers for Windows whatsoever. ext2fsd was abandoned a few years ago as its developer disappeared without a trace.
    winbtrfs works well.

Samsung was supposedly making a Windows f2fs driver, but that hasn't panned out yet :/

You can use WSL if you are desperate, and the partition is on a different disk.

Leave a comment:

• Awesomeness
    replied
    Originally posted by Mangix View Post
    Sounds like the war may have impacted something. Who knows.
    Which war was Paragon involved in last November?

Leave a comment:

• ilgazcl
    replied
    Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

I'm annoyed I never thought of doing it that way. Indeed, I never thought of replicating the good ol' separate home but for Windows.

Things die in the GPL universe, often no other code gets written and MS has nothing to do with this issue.

Just how do you think big open source projects work nowadays? Hint: it's mostly not hobbyists in their basements.
    For this exact reason, either Ubuntu (very likely) or SuSE (enterprise one) will step in and takeover the project. As SUSE is based in Germany, more likely.

Leave a comment:

• sinepgib
    replied
    Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
    When I last used Windows (not since 2006 or so) I was using ext2fsd driver to mount my /home partition under Windows, and configured /UserData to be on that volume as well. That solves the whole interchange issue.
    I'm annoyed I never thought of doing it that way. Indeed, I never thought of replicating the good ol' separate home but for Windows.

Originally posted by ilgazcl View Post
    This is more like a kernel maintainer being too emotional/angry. Nothing "dies" in GPL universe. It gets taken over, 1000x better code gets written. Bonus: MS gets another lesson about which development model is right.
    Things die in the GPL universe, often no other code gets written and MS has nothing to do with this issue.

Originally posted by ilgazcl View Post
    BTW I purchased a lot from Paragon guys back in the day, they aren't bad developers but they are Windows kernel hackers. They are an old school German software house. They can't adapt to GPL/FSF model of development. These people have secretaries, tickets, customer departments etc etc.
    Just how do you think big open source projects work nowadays? Hint: it's mostly not hobbyists in their basements.

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
    You are a braver birdie than I.
    I've had swap disabled both in Linux and in Windows for more than a decade now. People who insist on SWAP presence even if you have plenty of RAM (I rock 64GB on my desktop and 16GB on my laptop) don't understand why it's needed. I've never used hibernate either because I've got SSDs all around and I don't want to write gigabytes of data to save a few seconds of boot time. Then I'm not even sure hibernation with an SSD is faster than a cold boot. It might not even be the case.

As for writing to Linux partitions from Windows - I've always avoided that. There are no good/totally safe ext4 FS drivers for Windows whatsoever. ext2fsd was abandoned a few years ago as its developer disappeared without a trace.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X