Concerns Raised Over The "New" NTFS Linux Driver That Merged Last Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Using torrents doesn't imply you're storing them on a NTFS drive. I've never done that. Then again, if it's RIAA who's asking, I've never used torrents in my life.
    mine go to a xfs ssd before being moved to ntfs. *shrug*

Comment

Sounds like the war may have impacted something. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Using torrents doesn't imply you're storing them on a NTFS drive. I've never done that. Then again, if it's RIAA who's asking, I've never used torrents in my life.
        I don't think its torrents specifically... perhaps random IO? I get it when batch writing or modifying thousands of little PNGs. A *few* inevitably end up corrupted, which is super annoying.

Comment

phoronix Please Please Please add an option to vote up articles and these photos, lol. I think you'd find the results gratifying and it'll help you pin articles to the top of the queue based on viewer appreciation.

Love the humour of this one. Thanks!

P.S. a Windows logo taped to the drive would have made it even more meme-worthy.

image.php?id=2021&image=linux_512_fixed_med.jpg
          Last edited by linuxgeex; 26 April 2022, 09:16 PM.

Comment

... think the Paragon developers are very busy reverse engineering other projects.

Their NTFS driver has likely already made the majority of the profits, especially with a recently open sourced exFat filesystem, the demand for NTFS will likely further wane.

I use exFat filesystem on large shared partitions between Windows and Linux for shared file storage, granted, no de-fragmenting utility, but at least the open sourced exFAT driver has code integrity unlike other hacks or attempts. Prior, I was using UDF filesystem for shared Windows and Linux partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
              phoronix Please Please Please add an option to vote up articles and these photos, lol. I think you'd find the results gratifying and it'll help you pin articles to the top of the queue based on viewer appreciation.
              I think Facebook has that feature...but I don't use Facebook so what would I know, right?

Comment

Originally posted by unsound View Post

I don't think it is, many people use torrents. Has it been reported to the mailing list or in a github issue? I can't see it in the list of open issues on github. It's certainly worth investigating as it sounds quite serious.
                I've had it twice, stopped using NTFS volumes for that after the accidents. Never bothered to report for a simple reason: it's near impossible to reproduce.

I had a 250GB volume, already had 100GB of data on it. Tried to download a large enough file (~12GB) without preallocating it - the file came off broken, the partition couldn't be mounted on a second mount. Had to reboot into Windows to chkdsk it. It showed dozens of scary messages. That was enough.

Comment

Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

I don't think its torrents specifically... perhaps random IO? I get it when batch writing or modifying thousands of little PNGs. A *few* inevitably end up corrupted, which is super annoying.
                  If this is still related to ntfs-3g, then I'd encourage you to report this to the ntfs-3g github issue tracker. It sounds like one of these hard to reproduce issues but if you can attach chkdsk output for the corrupted volume it's possible that we'll be able to figure out what's going on and solve the issue.
                  (And if you have a good test case where copying a bunch of pngs to an NTFS drive causes corruption every time, then that would be even more helpful of course!)

Comment

This is more like a kernel maintainer being too emotional/angry. Nothing "dies" in GPL universe. It gets taken over, 1000x better code gets written. Bonus: MS gets another lesson about which development model is right.

BTW I purchased a lot from Paragon guys back in the day, they aren't bad developers but they are Windows kernel hackers. They are an old school German software house. They can't adapt to GPL/FSF model of development. These people have secretaries, tickets, customer departments etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I've had it twice, stopped using NTFS volumes for that after the accidents. Never bothered to report for a simple reason: it's near impossible to reproduce.

I had a 250GB volume, already had 100GB of data on it. Tried to download a large enough file (~12GB) without preallocating it - the file came off broken, the partition couldn't be mounted on a second mount. Had to reboot into Windows to chkdsk it. It showed dozens of scary messages. That was enough.
                      Here is a crazy idea: choco winbtrfs :-) That thing performs better than Linux sometimes. Already used in ReactOS.

Comment

Working...
                      X