Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin Upstreams Linux Patch Around Boat Steering Wheels, Marine Navigation Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GI_Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by oztmorf View Post

Well, I'm not well versed in the embedded space so I would just asume some kind of Windows, as I see it often in public libraries, atm and other public terminals.

But yes, Linux with beeing open source it really is a good fit.
    embedded space is 75% linux, and 25% QNX.

Windows runs on ATMs, POC Sales machines, and Metrocard machines, and that is pretty much it.

Leave a comment:

• M1kkko
    replied
    Does this mean you can compile a custom kernel for your boat?

Leave a comment:

• oztmorf
    replied
    Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

I mean what else are they going to use? only other option is probably QNX, but linux is open source, so they can modify the source code for their niche needs.

I am guessing realtime kernel for vehicle controls
    Well, I'm not well versed in the embedded space so I would just asume some kind of Windows, as I see it often in public libraries, atm and other public terminals.

But yes, Linux with beeing open source it really is a good fit.

Leave a comment:

• GI_Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by oztmorf View Post
    Wow, I had no idea that Garmin would use Linux, less even care to contribute. Do anyone knows if this could be a recent change of strategy for them (as they need to move the company forward and consider new ways for their software) or have they historically done this?
    I mean what else are they going to use? only other option is probably QNX, but linux is open source, so they can modify the source code for their niche needs.

I am guessing realtime kernel for vehicle controls

Leave a comment:

• oztmorf
    replied
    Wow, I had no idea that Garmin would use Linux, less even care to contribute. Do anyone knows if this could be a recent change of strategy for them (as they need to move the company forward and consider new ways for their software) or have they historically done this?

Leave a comment:

• microcode
    replied
    Nice; wonder if there's a market for boat simulators with real controls...

Leave a comment:

• Garmin Upstreams Linux Patch Around Boat Steering Wheels, Marine Navigation Displays

Phoronix: Garmin Upstreams Linux Patch Around Boat Steering Wheels, Marine Navigation Displays

Being sent in as a fix for Linux 5.18-rc3 is supporting various marine navigation keycodes with at least Garmin's boat steering wheels and marine navigation displays running Linux...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...arine-Keycodes
Working...
X