Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin Upstreams Linux Patch Around Boat Steering Wheels, Marine Navigation Displays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin Upstreams Linux Patch Around Boat Steering Wheels, Marine Navigation Displays

Phoronix: Garmin Upstreams Linux Patch Around Boat Steering Wheels, Marine Navigation Displays

Being sent in as a fix for Linux 5.18-rc3 is supporting various marine navigation keycodes with at least Garmin's boat steering wheels and marine navigation displays running Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice; wonder if there's a market for boat simulators with real controls...

Comment

Wow, I had no idea that Garmin would use Linux, less even care to contribute. Do anyone knows if this could be a recent change of strategy for them (as they need to move the company forward and consider new ways for their software) or have they historically done this?

Comment

Originally posted by oztmorf View Post
        Wow, I had no idea that Garmin would use Linux, less even care to contribute. Do anyone knows if this could be a recent change of strategy for them (as they need to move the company forward and consider new ways for their software) or have they historically done this?
        I mean what else are they going to use? only other option is probably QNX, but linux is open source, so they can modify the source code for their niche needs.

I am guessing realtime kernel for vehicle controls

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

I mean what else are they going to use? only other option is probably QNX, but linux is open source, so they can modify the source code for their niche needs.

I am guessing realtime kernel for vehicle controls
          Well, I'm not well versed in the embedded space so I would just asume some kind of Windows, as I see it often in public libraries, atm and other public terminals.

But yes, Linux with beeing open source it really is a good fit.

Comment

Does this mean you can compile a custom kernel for your boat?

Comment

Originally posted by oztmorf View Post

Well, I'm not well versed in the embedded space so I would just asume some kind of Windows, as I see it often in public libraries, atm and other public terminals.

But yes, Linux with beeing open source it really is a good fit.
              embedded space is 75% linux, and 25% QNX.

Windows runs on ATMs, POC Sales machines, and Metrocard machines, and that is pretty much it.

Comment

Working...
              X