Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin Upstreams Linux Patch Around Boat Steering Wheels, Marine Navigation Displays

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Garmin Upstreams Linux Patch Around Boat Steering Wheels, Marine Navigation Displays

    Phoronix: Garmin Upstreams Linux Patch Around Boat Steering Wheels, Marine Navigation Displays

    Being sent in as a fix for Linux 5.18-rc3 is supporting various marine navigation keycodes with at least Garmin's boat steering wheels and marine navigation displays running Linux...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...arine-Keycodes

  • #2
    Nice; wonder if there's a market for boat simulators with real controls...

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow, I had no idea that Garmin would use Linux, less even care to contribute. Do anyone knows if this could be a recent change of strategy for them (as they need to move the company forward and consider new ways for their software) or have they historically done this?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by oztmorf View Post
        Wow, I had no idea that Garmin would use Linux, less even care to contribute. Do anyone knows if this could be a recent change of strategy for them (as they need to move the company forward and consider new ways for their software) or have they historically done this?
        I mean what else are they going to use? only other option is probably QNX, but linux is open source, so they can modify the source code for their niche needs.

        I am guessing realtime kernel for vehicle controls

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post

          I mean what else are they going to use? only other option is probably QNX, but linux is open source, so they can modify the source code for their niche needs.

          I am guessing realtime kernel for vehicle controls
          Well, I'm not well versed in the embedded space so I would just asume some kind of Windows, as I see it often in public libraries, atm and other public terminals.

          But yes, Linux with beeing open source it really is a good fit.

          Comment


          • #6
            Does this mean you can compile a custom kernel for your boat?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by oztmorf View Post

              Well, I'm not well versed in the embedded space so I would just asume some kind of Windows, as I see it often in public libraries, atm and other public terminals.

              But yes, Linux with beeing open source it really is a good fit.
              embedded space is 75% linux, and 25% QNX.

              Windows runs on ATMs, POC Sales machines, and Metrocard machines, and that is pretty much it.

              Comment

              Working...
              X