Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patches Updated For Linux To Enjoy Consoles Running At Full-Speed

Phoronix: Patches Updated For Linux To Enjoy Consoles Running At Full-Speed

As part of the long ongoing work to improve Linux's printk() code, there has been work to allow for threaded console printing and allowing consoles to run at full-speed. That work is still ongoing but Tuesday saw the third iteration of those printk patches posted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

really looking forward to it

Comment

This is seriously cool stuff. I am also looking forward to this as well!

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

But I want 4K support, 256 color support, and even 16,7 million color support.

UEFI support much higher resolution modes than old VGA text mode and VESA BIOS Extensions (VBE).

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          UEFI support much higher resolution modes than old VGA text mode and VESA BIOS Extensions (VBE).
          And with a suitable driver (e.g. i915drmfb, implicit when i915.ko is loaded), you do get the resolution, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by uxmkt View Post
            And with a suitable driver (e.g. i915drmfb, implicit when i915.ko is loaded), you do get the resolution, don't you?
            efifb supports any resolution, that your GOP (UEFI video firmware) does. However, not all video cards support every mode that the connected monitor is capable of; for example, my AMD card doesn't support neither fullhd nor 4k in GOP at all.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

And I want free beer, a free college education, the ability to work from home, and a guaranteed basic income.

[sarcasm] tag for those that need it

Comment

Is this going to make printing text on a terminal faster? Sorry if dumb question, but not sure how to parse 'console' in this context.

Comment

Would be nice to see a modern reimplementation of the console but this is welcome nonetheless. As a gentoo user I spend a lot of time in the console.

Comment

we need KMS console first rather than speeding up aging console :/

Comment

Working...
                    X