No announcement yet.

Reiser5 Issues New Development Release, Performance Numbers For Scaling Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a little strange that they decided not to change the name. It almost makes me wonder if they have no intention of it ever going upstream, and keeping the name is an easy way for them to just tell people it's not their fault that no one wants it, rather than having to constantly hear people complain that they aren't trying hard enough to upstream it.

Comment

Why is it, that every time I come to market with my "Hitler Brand Widget Polish" every opinionated, loudmouthed, arrogant amateur stops talking about important things like widget polish performance, and instead they just blah blah blah about some esoteric attribute of my trademark?
      Last edited by Zapitron; 12 April 2022, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
        I said it before and I will said it again. Edward should rename it to ShishkinFS at this point. Not to avoid connotation with convicted murderer, but to put credit where it's due.
        As the author he has the authority to call his creation whatever he wants. I would never name a filesystem after myself either, and not sure why Reiser had to do it in the first place. Anyhoo, I see no reason to rename a thing just because someone in the past, someone not affiliated with the project anymore, stained the original name.

Comment

Well let's just see how the latest iteration of MurdererFS will turn out.

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post
            I wonder if anyone not buying Ford, because it is named after Henry Ford who was Anti-Semitist.
            that word don't mean what you think it does.

Comment

I honestly didn't know ReiserFS was a thing still. Then again, I was using JFS up until a few years ago and stopped using XFS because it was causing an issue with Steam Workshop mods not working properly and had to move to ext.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                I said it before and I will said it again. Edward should rename it to ShishkinFS at this point. Not to avoid connotation with convicted murderer, but to put credit where it's due.
                no, Shishkin is a moutful. It should be renamed to NinaFS.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinN View Post

no, Shishkin is a moutful. It should be renamed to NinaFS.
                  I agree, I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post

You must be young then.
                    I wouldn't call it 'obscure'. It was probably the most often choosed filesystem for rootfs in custom install then. The other were ext3 and xfs was still behind.
                    Not sure if ext4 is any better (except user-focused features, like case-insensitiveness or half-baked encryption support).
                    I have feeling that this filesystem faded away, mainly because SJWs and because extX was favourized by kernel devs. Oherwise it would be deprecated by much more performant and bug-free XFS (it doesn't have some EXT4 homeusers-focused fancy features[case-insensitivity and encryption], but EXT4 didn't had them either few years ago).
                    While ZFS and BTRFS got all this bitrot-protection and snapshotting/sync-receive, both got some much worse performance and much more important, filesystem-corrupting bugs non-fixed...

And it was times, when SDDs wasn't thing(some people used 64MB flash trough ATA adapters for small rootfs) and HDDs were much, much smaller and slower, so filesystem impact was much more noticeable. Now home-users totally don't care(I don't say they should), and all this Valve/Proton thing and case-insensitivity matters for Windows games.
                    I like ext4.

Comment

Working...
                    X