Reiser5 Issues New Development Release, Performance Numbers For Scaling Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by evil_core View Post

But your bad experience doesn't sound it was caused by reiserfs itself at all, but something else.
    ReiserFS doesn't deserve bad mouth from you.
    I never said anything bad about ReiserFS, you made that up in your mind. I was clearly stating it was an issue with Suse.

Comment

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
      ReiserFS was [...] super fault resilient on power failures.
      Yeah, no. Having just one root node is not exactly "fault resilient". And with fsck/repair reportedly seeing loopback files (with reiserfs) as part of the filesystem they were contained in does not sound so great either.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
        Either that or IDidntKillMyWifeFS.
        Or perhaps CuntDeservedItFS ?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

Interesting. If it also supports encryption I'm listening.
          I don't think it does. All the encryption/crypto mentions I saw were related to checksumming and compression.

Comment

WTF?

XFS/EXT4 are traditional filesystems, that fragment less, so got better performance in long time. Especially XFS is more performant, while EXT4 got user-focused features like case-insenitivity(wine/proton) and encryption (less performant than LUKS and with security bugs in the past)

Reiser5 is alternative to BcacheFS, ZFS, BTRFS, because it's Copy-On-Write filesystem, with built-in volume manager, etc. Implementing compression, snapshotting, etc would be hard otherwise.
            All above got bitrot protection, but performance drops drastically over time, if filled over 50%(when it reaches 80% it becomes really bad). They also got filesystem-corrupting bugs(BTRFS when there's less than 1% of free space, while ZFS sometimes corrupts checksums when sending raw, encrypted subvolumes. They lowered chance with ZFS v2.1.4, but people confirmed it still happens ).
            So much more complicated code means more bugs, nothing new. but I hope that at least ZFS will be fixed soon, because BCacheFS/Reiser5 are far away from being ready for any serious storage. While BTRFS is getting redesigned now, with important parts rewritten, so it will need probably years to gain stability.
            I never really dabbled into the advanced features of Reiser. When I last used it I had it on a HDD root with an Athlon 64 processor and it loaded Debian (Sarge???) faster than Ext3 and XFS. That speedy FS now with compression seems like a nice choice for a rootfs.

But like you, I'm also a ZFS holdout.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I never really dabbled into the advanced features of Reiser. When I last used it I had it on a HDD root with an Athlon 64 processor and it loaded Debian (Sarge???) faster than Ext3 and XFS. That speedy FS now with compression seems like a nice choice for a rootfs.

But like you, I'm also a ZFS holdout.
              Keep in mind that ReiserFS v3.x(mostly similar to XFS) you've used in the past, is totally different beast then Reiser4 or especially Reiser5, which is CoW filesystem, with built-in volume-manager, which can only be compared to other CoW filesystems. It's more modern than ZFS.
              So unlike reiserfs you've used in the past, it would be fast at beginning

And about XFS, it's mainly developed by RedHat, so got great funding and made great progress and now it's probably the most stable and performant filesystem for Linux. you should try it, if you want something similar to old reiserfs. But no compression (but some CoW features has been starrted, so maybe in feature)

If you need compression, then ZFS/BTRFS is the way to go. There's also more performant and advanced BCacheFS, but it's WIP.
              https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...n_of_ext4_xfs/

And I'm not ZFS holdout. I'm in the process of migrating all scattered data to it.

I like that in case of BTRFS/ZFS/BCacheFS you can have one big partition for all linux distros, and only create new subvolumes(so called 'datasets' in ZFS terminology), sharing one big space pool. Like LVM on steroids ^^
              Last edited by evil_core; 11 April 2022, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                I said it before and I will said it again. Edward should rename it to ShishkinFS at this point. Not to avoid connotation with convicted murderer, but to put credit where it's due.
                That's very unusual. A lot of companies and products are named after the founder(s), but the current owners are in most cases not relatives. Should all companies change their names then just to give credit to the current owners?

Comment

Keep in mind that ReiserFS v3.x(mostly similar to XFS) you've used in the past, is totally different beast then Reiser4 or especially Reiser5, which is CoW filesystem, with built-in volume-manager, which can only be compared to other CoW filesystems. It's more modern than ZFS.
                  So unlike reiserfs you've used in the past, it would be fast at beginning

And about XFS, it's mainly developed by RedHat, so got great funding and made great progress and now it's probably the most stable and performant filesystem for Linux. you should try it, if you want something similar to old reiserfs. But no compression (but some CoW features has been starrted, so maybe in feature)

If you need compression, then ZFS/BTRFS is the way to go. There's also more performant and advanced BCacheFS, but it's WIP.
                  https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...n_of_ext4_xfs/
                  Code:
                  zfs get compress    
                  NAME                         PROPERTY     VALUE           SOURCE
                  zeta                         compression  lz4             local
                  zeta/layer                   compression  lz4             inherited from zeta
                  zeta/layer/documents         compression  zstd-19         local
                  zeta/layer/games             compression  lz4             inherited from zeta
                  zeta/layer/games/emulation   compression  zstd-19         local
                  zeta/layer/games/pc          compression  lz4             inherited from zeta
                  zeta/layer/games/pc/windows  compression  lz4             inherited from zeta
                  zeta/layer/music             compression  zstd-19         local
                  zeta/layer/pictures          compression  zstd-19         local
                  zeta/layer/programs          compression  lz4             inherited from zeta
                  zeta/layer/programs/linux    compression  lz4             inherited from zeta
                  zeta/layer/programs/storage  compression  zstd-19         local
                  zeta/layer/programs/windows  compression  lz4             inherited from zeta
                  zeta/layer/projects          compression  lz4             inherited from zeta
                  zeta/layer/videos            compression  zstd-19
                  Yeah, I compressed my compressed videos

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

That's very unusual. A lot of companies and products are named after the founder(s), but the current owners are in most cases not relatives. Should all companies change their names then just to give credit to the current owners?
                    If they're named after their founders then MicroSoft sure does explain the divorce.

Comment

Originally posted by thalaric View Post
                      90% of developers don't want anything to do with it because of its association with a murderer and the last vocal 10% "don't want to worry about it because it's technical". Well if it's a purely technical decision -- change the name since the name is impeding any possible technical progress. I swear these people dying on a hill to fight SJWs over what they themselves define as meaningless bullshit are purely in it to get off on being misanthropic.
                      And while we're at it, let's also change the name of Volkswagen as they have been caught in a massive fraud a couple of years ago and it's now impeding their technical process... oh wait.

Comment

Working...
                      X