Reiser5 Issues New Development Release, Performance Numbers For Scaling Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IndioNuvemChuva View Post

Well, you're free to see no problem in using the filesystem and in separating the tech from its original lead. But not everyone feels comfortable doing so, and I can't say I blame them, either. Now, I think ascribing the label of "SJW" to the people who make the choice to avoid it because of the history it's associated with is much more of a stupid take than avoiding it in the first place.
    Yep, I was too hard saying it's stupid, it's just something I strongly disagree, but true, it's a valid position to take. I didn't ascribe the label of "SJW" tho and don't really like people using that label anywhere either.

FWIW I do like the idea of renaming, too.

Comment

90% of developers don't want anything to do with it because of its association with a murderer and the last vocal 10% "don't want to worry about it because it's technical". Well if it's a purely technical decision -- change the name since the name is impeding any possible technical progress. I swear these people dying on a hill to fight SJWs over what they themselves define as meaningless bullshit are purely in it to get off on being misanthropic.
      Last edited by thalaric; 10 April 2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Yep, I was too hard saying it's stupid, it's just something I strongly disagree, but true, it's a valid position to take. I didn't ascribe the label of "SJW" tho and don't really like people using that label anywhere either.

FWIW I do like the idea of renaming, too.
        My bad for the latter, I mistook you for the guy who'd made the original comment. q=

Comment

There is a saying that harboring "hate" is akin to drinking poison hoping the other person will die.

ReiserFS was literally the all-around best root file system option for many years. Hans was human, with all the frailty and failings most of us harbor given the right preconditions and circumstances. I make no apology for his choices, but I see those who want to force the community to ignore damned good (open source) work that is evolving through the efforts of one person who didn't fixate on the sinner, but the gift he left behind as he fell, as drinking poison hoping that human failings will "die".

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post

It is far better to be a Social Justice Warrior than a Social Injustice Warrior.
            The proper acronym for those are SIC: Social Injustice Crusaders.

Originally posted by thalaric View Post
            90% of developers don't want anything to do with it because of its association with a murderer and the last vocal 10% "don't want to worry about it because it's technical". Well if it's a purely technical decision -- change the name since the name is impeding any possible technical progress. I swear these people dying on a hill to fight SJWs over what they themselves define as meaningless bullshit are purely in it to get off on being misanthropic.
            Actually the 90% developers that don't want anything to do with it is not because of the murder, that happened long before due to Hans being an outright difficult person to discuss things with, the flame wars on LKML between him and the other kernel devs where long and hard. The murder was just the final straw that broke the camels back.

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post

We are discussing software here, please do your cancel culture campaigns elsewhere.
            It is boring, repetitive and off topic. You can't change the past by renaming it.
            And yet we would probably be able to find some name that would have you wanting to rename it. Also renaming something is not cancelling anything.
            Last edited by F.Ultra; 10 April 2022, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
              Actually the 90% developers that don't want anything to do with it is not because of the murder, that happened long before due to Hans being an outright difficult person to discuss things with, the flame wars on LKML between him and the other kernel devs where long and hard. The murder was just the final straw that broke the camels back.
              I remember he couldn't get v4 merged due to the fighting in LKML well before the murder came out, but I think that is a lesser issue at this point than a filesystem basically being SlasherFS. If it truly has technical value anymore they should get away from the connotations of the name with a hard fork and rebrand and prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
                And here's the worst part - the brutal sociopath Reiser will be released to prey upon humanity again next year.
                No. While he, just as any convicted person that is not serving a life without parole sentence, will have the right to petition the parole board for release, it is not going to happen for this cycle. And until he admits his guilt and shows remorse, it will likely not happen in the next, or the next (the parole board is tasked to make judgement as to the character and recidivism of those that come before them, and admitting guilt and showing remorse, tends to be among the factors that are considered). If Hans was half as smart as he thinks he is he would admit to the murder, express remorse, stop filing those frivolous lawsuits, and just be a model prisoner for the next decade or so. Otherwise he will live (and die) incarcerated.
                Last edited by CommunityMember; 11 April 2022, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post

Sorry, but it was totally your fault and incompetence if you haven't built kernel properly or didn't know how to assemble initcpio/initrd/initramfs correctly.
                  Now it's relatively easy with hw-autodetection, etc.
                  Suse was meant to be a user-firendly linux flavor back then.
                  The attitude to tell others how they are at fault and suspecting incompetence is something I have seen over many years in the linux community so you are definitely more the rule than the exception but that does not make it any better, of course.
                  The problem didn't stop me from using Linux in any way, though, I just never cared about Suse anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelblick View Post

Suse was meant to be a user-firendly linux flavor back then.
                    The attitude to tell others how they are at fault and suspecting incompetence is something I have seen over many years in the linux community so you are definitely more the rule than the exception but that does not make it any better, of course.
                    The problem didn't stop me from using Linux in any way, though, I just never cared about Suse anymore.
                    Not sure what you did back then, but there was no need to build your own kernel back then. Simply using the distribution default kernel was enough. I took my first baby steps with S.u.S.E. back in the 90s.

Comment

Originally posted by thalaric View Post

I remember he couldn't get v4 merged due to the fighting in LKML well before the murder came out, but I think that is a lesser issue at this point than a filesystem basically being SlasherFS. If it truly has technical value anymore they should get away from the connotations of the name with a hard fork and rebrand and prove it.
                      Lesser point now of course with new developers, but for the old ones the name reiser was simply tainted forever from back in the pre v4 days

Comment

Working...
                      X