Reiser5 Issues New Development Release, Performance Numbers For Scaling Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leo_sk View Post

Well, the connotation depends on how much we repeat it. It is a fairly obscure FS that most people hear for the first time, and there is no one to tell them of its connotations except us who know about it. Just let the association die

P.S- I read about it in wikipedia and blog comparing file system performance. Didn't know any history attached to it until reading the comments here some time back
    You must be young then.
    I wouldn't call it 'obscure'. It was probably the most often choosed filesystem for rootfs in custom install then. The other were ext3 and xfs was still behind.
    Not sure if ext4 is any better (except user-focused features, like case-insensitiveness or half-baked encryption support).
    I have feeling that this filesystem faded away, mainly because SJWs and because extX was favourized by kernel devs. Oherwise it would be deprecated by much more performant and bug-free XFS (it doesn't have some EXT4 homeusers-focused fancy features[case-insensitivity and encryption], but EXT4 didn't had them either few years ago).
    While ZFS and BTRFS got all this bitrot-protection and snapshotting/sync-receive, both got some much worse performance and much more important, filesystem-corrupting bugs non-fixed...

And it was times, when SDDs wasn't thing(some people used 64MB flash trough ATA adapters for small rootfs) and HDDs were much, much smaller and slower, so filesystem impact was much more noticeable. Now home-users totally don't care(I don't say they should), and all this Valve/Proton thing and case-insensitivity matters for Windows games.

Comment

Originally posted by tunnelblick View Post
      I still remember trying suse back then when I tried to use reiserfs, it let you install and then it couldn't boot because the kernel they installed didn't have reiserfs built in or something like that, I don't remember exactly what the issue was.
      Never tried it again.
      Sorry, but it was totally your fault and incompetence if you haven't built kernel properly or didn't know how to assemble initcpio/initrd/initramfs correctly.
      Now it's relatively easy with hw-autodetection, etc.
      There was times when end-users needed in most distros to manually include all needed modules (except RedHat/Mandrake with 'kudzu', that other distros made fun of it), use mknod/MAKEDEV and correct entires in /etc/modprobe.conf.

Because you still don't know, you can try it relatively easy(because there's virtualization) to install ArchLinux by hand (without any kind of installer).
      It's realtively easy with it's documentation and standarized SystemD.

But there was times, when you needed to debug initrcpio in case of exotic configurations (even LVM over LUKS or something often fasiled in other distros), because initscript were mainly customs. At least it was relatively easy if you knew shell scripting. SystemD still has bugs. i.e. if you use XFS with external journal on LUKS it will mount it, but complain (not always) on boot that it couldn't mount....

Comment

The name of this file system must be changed.

Hans Reiser brutally murdered his wife, and lied and toyed with law enforcement until forensic evidence proved his guilt, and then finally led them to where he'd buried her body in exchange for a second degree murder conviction instead of first degree.

And never once expressed any remorse or regret for his brutal inhumanity.

In fact, even to this day, he is toying with those who convicted him by filing every frivolous lawsuit against them possible.

And here's the worst part - the brutal sociopath Reiser will be released to prey upon humanity again next year.

So to those who say we should just forget about it and concentrate on the merits or demerits of the file system, you are wrong.

We should demand that everything connected to Hans Reiser be disconnected from it.

And only then consider the file system itself.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post

... I have feeling that this filesystem faded away, mainly because SJWs ...
          It is far better to be a Social Justice Warrior than a Social Injustice Warrior.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_core View Post
            [...] mainly because SJWs [...]
            Those silly SJWs and their reluctance to use tech by convicted murderers, I'll tell ya. :^)

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
              The name of this file system must be changed.

Hans Reiser brutally murdered his wife, and lied and toyed with law enforcement until forensic evidence proved his guilt, and then finally led them to where he'd buried her body in exchange for a second degree murder conviction instead of first degree.

And never once expressed any remorse or regret for his brutal inhumanity.

In fact, even to this day, he is toying with those who convicted him by filing every frivolous lawsuit against them possible.

And here's the worst part - the brutal sociopath Reiser will be released to prey upon humanity again next year.

So to those who say we should just forget about it and concentrate on the merits or demerits of the file system, you are wrong.

We should demand that everything connected to Hans Reiser be disconnected from it.

And only then consider the file system itself.
              We are discussing software here, please do your cancel culture campaigns elsewhere.
              It is boring, repetitive and off topic. You can't change the past by renaming it.

Comment

Originally posted by IndioNuvemChuva View Post

Those silly SJWs and their reluctance to use tech by convicted murderers, I'll tell ya. :^)
                Considering:
                - ReiserFS is not a commercial project and Hans Reiser gets exactly nothing from you using it; and
                - Tech didn't commit murder.

I really see no problem with using the filesystem and I think that's a stupid take. It would certainly be different if Reiser got money or anything from users, where you would be backing a murderer, but right now it's just a free community project with a narcissistic choice of naming made from a despicable person initially but now maintainer by people unrelated to the crime.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Considering:
                  - ReiserFS is not a commercial project and Hans Reiser gets exactly nothing from you using it; and
                  - Tech didn't commit murder.

I really see no problem with using the filesystem and I think that's a stupid take. It would certainly be different if Reiser got money or anything from users, where you would be backing a murderer, but right now it's just a free community project with a narcissistic choice of naming made from a despicable person initially but now maintainer by people unrelated to the crime.
                  Well, you're free to see no problem in using the filesystem and in separating the tech from its original lead. But not everyone feels comfortable doing so, and I can't say I blame them, either. Now, I think ascribing the label of "SJW" to the people who make the choice to avoid it because of the history it's associated with is much more of a stupid take than avoiding it in the first place.

Comment

I'm hopeful that it someday gets traction. Linux became "corporate", so just being a maintainer isn't enough anymore. You have to have big dollars backing you. Or, so "they say"...

But strictly from a tech perspective, would love to see new things become more readily available.

Personally, I'd love to see love for the older log based filesytems, which, btw, have far far far far far less "staying power", yet were allowed "in" (just saying). I think there's an unfair bias being applied because of where (who) this filesystem came from, but it's hardly that filesystem anymore, but I think it's getting unfairly "punished". Wish this could just be about the technology instead of (permanent) revenge against a person that hasn't been a part of the project for a very very very long time.

That is, in short, to accept Reiser5, is to accept, endorse and praise a murderer. And I really wish that were not the case.

Comment

I think a simple way to fix the name is to simply call it RiserFS. Sounds the same but is no longer the name of a murderer! And as a bonus, a riser is a support structure which I think fits nicely with the "infrastructure" of a filesystem.

Comment

Working...
                      X