Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux's Speculation Handling Was Messed Up After Resuming From Suspend For Boot CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux's Speculation Handling Was Messed Up After Resuming From Suspend For Boot CPU

Phoronix: Linux's Speculation Handling Was Messed Up After Resuming From Suspend For Boot CPU

Hitting the mainline Linux Git tree today was a rather interesting fix... It turns out that when Linux was resuming from S3 suspend, it wasn't correctly restoring the MSRs for the boot CPU around handling speculative execution mitigations...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Spec-Boot-CPU

Does this only affect the presets or also kernel parameters like `spec_store_bypass_disable=on spectre_v2=on ...`?

Comment

Bah.... resume from suspend I never use it ... my engines make noise

Comment

... the exposure is limited but still surprising the issue was only uncovered and addressed now in 2022 after all the attention these speculative execution vulnerability mitigations have received the past few years.
        Perhaps they are starting turning off computers only now, due to surging energy prices...

Comment

Btw I wouldn't drink the whisky anymore - the alcohol will mostlikly disolve a lot of nasty residuals/traceelements of the PCB and the Pins. On the otherhand ...even Arsenic is considered as essential trace element in very very very small quantaties according to some researchers.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
            Btw I wouldn't drink the whisky anymore - the alcohol will mostlikly disolve a lot of nasty residuals/traceelements of the PCB and the Pins. On the otherhand ...even Arsenic is considered as essential trace element in very very very small quantaties according to some researchers.
            I don't drink Whiskey/whisky anyways (go beer!).... This was just a picture I took back from my Intel Whiskey Lake benchmarking time....
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

I don't drink Whiskey/whisky anyways (go beer!).... This was just a picture I took back from my Intel Whiskey Lake benchmarking time....
              I remember the article - I think I have left there a comment too

Comment

Working...
              X