X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

If that's true, fair enough. It just feels like the smart thing to do would be to prioritize getting the tests to pass first, then optimize for performance later. No point in having a fast tool if it isn't fit for purpose.
    very true indeed, though it could very well be that those two things are parallel to eachother.

Leave a comment:

• rogerx
    replied
    Another rust development hi-jacked project.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I wouldn't be so sure. last I heard, it has turned into a full blown project now and I do know that many of the uutils do have preformance gains over coreutils. I just haven't benched redox utils so I don't know how they work
    If that's true, fair enough. It just feels like the smart thing to do would be to prioritize getting the tests to pass first, then optimize for performance later. No point in having a fast tool if it isn't fit for purpose.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Linux began as a programming exercise.
    And? All I'm saying is that this seems like a situation where a smart programmer would be following "Make it work, make it right, make it fast"... and the chart documenting test suite status shows they're not past the "make it right" phase yet.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Probably not favourable for uutils. From what I remember, it began as more of a programming exercise (meaning it wouldn't have started with a lot of the performance optimizations coreutils has) and I'd imagine they're probably mostly focused on getting the test suites passing.
    I wouldn't be so sure. last I heard, it has turned into a full blown project now and I do know that many of the uutils do have preformance gains over coreutils. I just haven't benched redox utils so I don't know how they work

Leave a comment:

• quaz0r
    replied
    honestly being a fresh rewrite of some ancient utils would be the main selling point for me. did you also need to use rust to prevent yourself from accessing an array out of bounds? i mean, thats fine i guess.

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    Probably not favourable for uutils. From what I remember, it began as more of a programming exercise (meaning it wouldn't have started with a lot of the performance optimizations coreutils has) and I'd imagine they're probably mostly focused on getting the test suites passing.
    Linux began as a programming exercise.

Leave a comment:

• Developer12
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
    It might be important to some that GNU coreutils is GPLv3 licensed, but uutils is MIT licenced.
    Many people, including the contributors don't care. Many see the MIT licence as being a Freer alternative. Some small number just don't want any GNU on their linux system (eg. by using Alpine).
    Last edited by Developer12; 03 April 2022, 11:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• dreich
    replied
    Originally posted by Draget View Post
    AFAIK coreutils are separate binaries.
    You can configure coreutils with the
    Code:
    --enable-single-binary
    switch which generates a single multi-call binary.

Leave a comment:

• lumks
    replied
    One step closer to uutils/Linux

Leave a comment:

Working...
X