Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Grouch
    replied
    It might be important to some that GNU coreutils is GPLv3 licensed, but uutils is MIT licenced.

Leave a comment:

• NobodyXu
    replied
    Originally posted by Draget View Post
    uutils follow the same single-binary approach that calls a different function depending on the name it was called by.

This is more similar to projects like busybox or toybox than coreutils, or? AFAIK coreutils are separate binaries.

Still a cool project.
    This is actually a good thing compared to GNU utils implementation.

Many utils commands are fairly simple and contains a lot of common code, like argument parsing, some text transformations, etc.
    Using multi-call can reduce duplicate binary code stored on disk.

Also, rust have a statically linked standard library, using multi-call library can further reduce the storage requirement.

Leave a comment:

• Draget
    replied
    uutils follow the same single-binary approach that calls a different function depending on the name it was called by.

This is more similar to projects like busybox or toybox than coreutils, or? AFAIK coreutils are separate binaries.

Still a cool project.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Probably not favourable for uutils. From what I remember, it began as more of a programming exercise (meaning it wouldn't have started with a lot of the performance optimizations coreutils has) and I'd imagine they're probably mostly focused on getting the test suites passing.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    I wonder the preformance difference is between uutils and redox core utils.

Leave a comment:

• Uutils 0.0.13 Released For GNU Coreutils Replacement In Rust

Phoronix: Uutils 0.0.13 Released For GNU Coreutils Replacement In Rust

Coming together over the past year has been uutils as a Rust-based Coreutils implementation to replace the long-used GNU Components. Since last year Uutils has been good enough to yield a working Debian Linux system at least for the basics while out this weekend is a new version of uutils...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-uutils-0.0.13
Working...
X