Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
    ->systemd-sysupdate Tool

This sounds like a really bad idea. Anyone taking bets on how long it is before this is instrumental in a significant data breach?
    Yaawwwn

Comment

It aligns with red hat plans to sabotage linux and gets full control over the ecosystem and OS
      i'm glad i don't depend on systemd
      if you are working for a cloud provider, please, offer alternatives to systemd ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
        if you are working for a cloud provider, please, offer alternatives to systemd ASAP
        Not so independent huh...

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post

Not so independent huh...
          I don't use cloud providers, i was talking about my own home servers and work machine

I'm saying this as a way to encourage the industry to move away from that

But who am i?

And who are you to invent things about me?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

I do and am very satisfied with it. There is even a mention on its website that it could be the future of Fedora long-term.
            its said that for years so it aint new

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

its said that for years so it aint new
              But since then, the fedora IoT and Core OS distros are also based on ostree.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

But since then, the fedora IoT and Core OS distros are also based on ostree.
                i dont think many use either. nly way you could findout an thats to ask what the Download Numbers are of those releases are

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

i dont think many use either. nly way you could findout an thats to ask what the Download Numbers are of those releases are
                  No one knows the numbers (just like for any distro). Obviously it's a minority but Openshit uses CoreOS so that's actually significant.

Anyway back to the topic, Ubuntu Core, SUSE Transactional and many others use the A/B approach but I always felt that ostree is a superior solution to the same problem. So if systemd is implementing a tool to help with that, it would have made sense to me if it was designed to support also ostree, especially if the development is done by RH who are the main proponents of ostree.

Comment

Originally posted by mSparks View Post
                    ->systemd-sysupdate Tool

This sounds like a really bad idea. Anyone taking bets on how long it is before this is instrumental in a significant data breach?
                    LOL. How does supporting A/B updates increase the chance of a data breach? This is probably for projects like Red Hat Automotive, or did you think they planned to do a YOLO DNF upgrade on infotainment units in cars? This is useful in tons of places instead of rolling your own seamless updates like the Steamdeck had to. Hell, this would be far better for low maintenance systems for elderly relatives. Reliable updates/boots are kind of important.

Comment

It aligns with red hat plans to sabotage linux and gets full control over the ecosystem and OS
                      Damn, i thought all the tin foil hat troll brigade had grown up and gone away

Comment

Working...
                      X