An Exciting Btrfs Update With Encoded I/O, Fsync Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    In fact, we can access any Linux FS on Windows with WSL2. Because of WSL2 we don't have to worry about our data drive format when we're dual booting with Windows anymore. It's great
    But doesn't using WSL2 mean that you are running on top of NTFS anyways? Do you have native and direct disk access? Been months since I tried Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by dfyt View Post
      But doesn't using WSL2 mean that you are running on top of NTFS anyways? Do you have native and direct disk access? Been months since I tried Windows.
      The WSL2 ways are native, direct. Well, as "native" as a VM can be, but it's direct and native from within the VM. It's the Windows equivalent of adding a physical disk to a QEMU setup instead of using a disk image.

You can do WSL2 on top of NTFS, but it accepts and mounts Linux disks no problem. That's what's so great about it and why I almost went back to Windows. Then Microsoft decided to release this abomination called Windows 11. Eww. No.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

How exactly is ZFS "next-gen" compared to btrfs, or was it just generic fanboy commentary?
        In this regard. Same 8 disks. raid-z1 for ZFS and the experimental btrfs RAID5.

btrfs:
        diskmark_btrfs_file.png

ZFS:
        zfs_20220401.png

This is a windows 10 install on a zvol in the ZFS case and a raw file, with COW disabled, on btrfs (COW absolutely kills VM performance.

LVM on MD RAID5 is in line with btrfs, performance-wise.

Comment

Working...
        X