This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.17 Released With AMD P-State Driver, Plenty Of New Hardware Support

Phoronix: Linux 5.17 Released With AMD P-State Driver, Plenty Of New Hardware Support

Following the one week delay to the release schedule, Linus Torvalds issued the Linux 5.17 stable release a short time ago...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-5.17-Released
  • Answer selected by Michael at 22 March 2022, 07:31 AM.

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

Huh? I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe it is some idiom I don't know, but I'm utterly confused.

I am a native Swedish speaker (Torvalds native language). Though I speak mainland Swedish, not Finland Swedish (there are subtle differences). That doesn't help decode this. And I don't speak Finnish at all.
    I am not a native speaker, but this is what I think:
    - Brown paper is just some cheap paper you wrap other stuff with
    - Fodder is some low quality food that cannot be consumed by people, so it is fed to livestock

So my guess is:
    "There were some easy to fix bugs that would be solved after rc7; if it wasn't for the rc8, they would have been fixed (some trivial and boring fixes) in the first stable release. And they were not important or interesting bugs at all."

Comment

avoid some brown-paper bugs that would otherwise have been stable fodder
      Huh? I'm not a native English speaker, so maybe it is some idiom I don't know, but I'm utterly confused.

I am a native Swedish speaker (Torvalds native language). Though I speak mainland Swedish, not Finland Swedish (there are subtle differences). That doesn't help decode this. And I don't speak Finnish at all.

Comment

I assume it's a reference to brown paper bags, but I don't get it either.

Comment

Could also be that Torvalds has been in the US for a long time.

Comment

it's something like this

A programming bug that is so stupid that it makes the programmer want to put a brown paper bag over his head.

Comment

Originally posted by lumks View Post
              it's something like this

And what does "stable fodder" mean?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

And what does "stable fodder" mean?
                Probably the comments about how many bugs there are in the stable release?

Comment

Vorpal cl333r I believe that "fodder" means food (or perhaps prey? English isn't my native language, however I did live in the US during part of my childhood), so perhaps food for the horses?

I would hazard a guess that the point is that something might not be as worth doing as it originally seems, or something similar to that.

Comment

- Fodder is some low quality food that cannot be consumed by people, so it is fed to livestock

So my guess is:
                    "There were some easy to fix bugs that would be solved after rc7; if it wasn't for the rc8, they would have been fixed (some trivial and boring fixes) in the first stable release. And they were not important or interesting bugs at all."

Comment

Originally posted by er888kh View Post

So my guess is:
                      Thanks, I remembered that "fodder" had to do with food, however I could not remember the context.
                      Your explanation certainly makes sense (and is similar to my assumption of the meaning of the quote).

Comment

Working...
                      X