X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
    I'm a bit out of the loop with the current status of the codecs. I have an HTPC with a Haswell iGPU and a library of H.264 video (mostly live action, converted DVDs and BDs) which can be played with hardware acceleration.

Is it worth the trouble to re-encode those and to what format?
    Should I re-dump those DVDs and BDs? That would probably take days.
    Should I re-encode what I already have as H.264? The quality will probably be worse than before.
    Or is the quality and size ratio not worth the effort?
    do you need more storage space? if so the I would re-encode, if not then no.

Leave a comment:

• baka0815
    replied
    I'm a bit out of the loop with the current status of the codecs. I have an HTPC with a Haswell iGPU and a library of H.264 video (mostly live action, converted DVDs and BDs) which can be played with hardware acceleration.

Is it worth the trouble to re-encode those and to what format?
    Should I re-dump those DVDs and BDs? That would probably take days.
    Should I re-encode what I already have as H.264? The quality will probably be worse than before.
    Or is the quality and size ratio not worth the effort?

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    Originally posted by Gonk View Post

Yeah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVX-512#CPUs_with_AVX-512 AVX-512 is a complete mess. It doesn't seem worth the die space to include it in a CPU design or the performance hit to use it if your CPU has it.
    It doesn't worth the die space on a desktop CPU. I'm sure plenty of workstations could put AVX-512 to god use, though.

Leave a comment:

• hajj_3
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

That's a shame!
    I tried recently to play a 4K HDR AV1 file on my laptop and on my desktop and I couldn't, the video was too laggy.
    Maybe after VLC manages to update it up to this version, I will be finally able to play it normally, at least on the desktop.
    the new version of vlc was released 12 days ago, not sure if you used that version or not. P.S 4k AV1 would certainly use a huge amount of cpu, i'm sure you could play 1080p if your laptop/desktop is recent.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied

That's a shame!
    I tried recently to play a 4K HDR AV1 file on my laptop and on my desktop and I couldn't, the video was too laggy.
    Maybe after VLC manages to update it up to this version, I will be finally able to play it normally, at least on the desktop.
    should try and use MPV, it's quite good.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

probably a long time, as vlc was updated only recently after many months which included v0.91 if i recall.
    That's a shame!

Leave a comment:

• hajj_3
    replied
    So when will VLC support it or update to it?
    probably a long time, as vlc was updated only recently after many months which included v0.91 if i recall.

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    So when will VLC support it or update to it?

Leave a comment:

• Gonk
    replied
    Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's actually older Intel CPUs. I believe only Rocket/Tiger Lake supports it.
    Yeah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVX-512#CPUs_with_AVX-512 AVX-512 is a complete mess. It doesn't seem worth the die space to include it in a CPU design or the performance hit to use it if your CPU has it.

Leave a comment:

• JellyBrain
    replied
    Will you upload benchmarks for this Michael?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X