Dav1d 1.0 AV1 Decoder Released With Improved Threading, AVX-512 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dav1d 1.0 AV1 Decoder Released With Improved Threading, AVX-512 Support

Phoronix: Dav1d 1.0 AV1 Decoder Released With Improved Threading, AVX-512 Support

The much anticipated dav1d 1.0 open-source AV1 video decoder has been released! Dav1d 1.0 is a big update to this leading CPU-based AV1 decoder that now offers AVX-512 support for newer Intel CPUs, threading enhancements, and more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

now offers AVX-512 support for newer Intel CPUs
    That's actually older Intel CPUs. I believe only Rocket/Tiger Lake supports it.

Comment

Will you upload benchmarks for this Michael?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

That's actually older Intel CPUs. I believe only Rocket/Tiger Lake supports it.
        Yeah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVX-512#CPUs_with_AVX-512 AVX-512 is a complete mess. It doesn't seem worth the die space to include it in a CPU design or the performance hit to use it if your CPU has it.

Comment

So when will VLC support it or update to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            So when will VLC support it or update to it?
            probably a long time, as vlc was updated only recently after many months which included v0.91 if i recall.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post

probably a long time, as vlc was updated only recently after many months which included v0.91 if i recall.
              That's a shame!
              I tried recently to play a 4K HDR AV1 file on my laptop and on my desktop and I couldn't, the video was too laggy.
              Maybe after VLC manages to update it up to this version, I will be finally able to play it normally, at least on the desktop.

Comment

That's a shame!
                I tried recently to play a 4K HDR AV1 file on my laptop and on my desktop and I couldn't, the video was too laggy.
                Maybe after VLC manages to update it up to this version, I will be finally able to play it normally, at least on the desktop.
                should try and use MPV, it's quite good.

Comment

That's a shame!
                  the new version of vlc was released 12 days ago, not sure if you used that version or not. P.S 4k AV1 would certainly use a huge amount of cpu, i'm sure you could play 1080p if your laptop/desktop is recent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonk View Post

Yeah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVX-512#CPUs_with_AVX-512 AVX-512 is a complete mess. It doesn't seem worth the die space to include it in a CPU design or the performance hit to use it if your CPU has it.
                    It doesn't worth the die space on a desktop CPU. I'm sure plenty of workstations could put AVX-512 to god use, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X