Bcachefs Continues Making Progress - Finishes Big Allocator Rewrite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bcachefs Continues Making Progress - Finishes Big Allocator Rewrite

Phoronix: Bcachefs Continues Making Progress - Finishes Big Allocator Rewrite

Bcachefs as the next-generation Linux file-system born out of the kernel's block cache code is aiming to possibly go upstream in 2022 and as a result has been trying to work through its remaining invasive changes and other big ticket items before proceeding. Bcachefs lead developer Kent Overstreet has put out another status update on this open-source file-system effort...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's nice to see competion in the field of new generation filesystem.

However I won't be in a hurry to convert my btrfs volumes untile bcachefs has been battlefield tested for at least a couple of years.

Comment

It looks to me that Bcachefs is still quite young, as it still need to release breaking changes in its ondisk format frequently.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
        It's nice to see competion in the field of new generation filesystem.

However I won't be in a hurry to convert my btrfs volumes untile bcachefs has been battlefield tested for at least a couple of years.
        I'll consider using it for root volumes whenever it gets upstreamed. I keep most all my important information off my root on a zpool and a folder with all my tweaked /etc files so my roots are basically throwaway. It's why every other month y'all hear me talking about running a different distribution. I'd try out bcachefs now but it's already a pain in the ass keeping up with one out of tree file system for my data disks let alone a 2nd FS for root (that's the same reason I haven't tried Resier4/5 for root).

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post
        It looks to me that Bcachefs is still quite young, as it still need to release breaking changes in its ondisk format frequently.
        That's why it's still out of tree. He's trying to get all the major bits and pieces in place before it's available for the masses for consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          That's why it's still out of tree. He's trying to get all the major bits and pieces in place before it's available for the masses for consumption.
          I just hope it's not another KDBUS/BUS1 project where there's a lot of hype for a few years, video presentation talks and then it gradually dies into oblivion.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            that's the idea, but we all know that a lot of bugs will be only discovered when "the masses" start to using it.

Comment

I'll switch once it is available in a LTS kernel.
              esp tiered storage and different replication methods per folder is what interests me.

but well... i am prepared for bugs and i do have good backups.

Comment

I want BcacheFS to add a missing feature to Linux ecosystem, a third kind of file link, an absolute-relative bridge link concept (relatibolute link), so if the users have ~ (tilde) starting symbolic links (tilde starting symbolic links) that point to the home directory using tilde as part of file path they work if the user put them inside this third kind of link, as instance a link containing/pointing to ~/file can become portable to any account the user have independent of the point the home folder is itself positionated inside filesystem hierarchy/extructure (deepness).

Other thing I want to see tackled by BcacheFS is to accept "/" as part of filenames as escapable (or especial case) caracter in some way.

Levarage it with more capabilities beyond of what is already implemented by others FS and it will gain traction.

Comment

Usual reminder that his bcachefs work is funded on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    I just hope it's not another KDBUS/BUS1 project where there's a lot of hype for a few years, video presentation talks and then it gradually dies into oblivion.
                    That's kind of what he did with bcache, but since bcachefs is suppose to render bcache useless, maybe that's ok.

Comment

Working...
                    X