Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Plans To Stop Building a.out Support On Alpha & M68k To See If Anyone Cares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jabl
    replied
    One wonders whether anyone cares about Alpha anymore? At some point I believe the kernel developers had some interest in it has it had the loosest craziest memory consistency model imaginable, so they used it as a sort of lowest common denominator when designing their own memory barrier etc. abstractions. But if nobody actually runs anything on Alpha anymore, why bother?

Leave a comment:

• Chewi
    replied
    Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post

What do you actually run it on?
    A slightly beefed-up Amiga 1200, but I don't build on there. I used to do a lot of cross-compiling, but I've already made heavy use of QEMU lately.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by Chewi View Post
    As the maintainer of Gentoo on m68k, I really don't care!
    What do you actually run it on?

Leave a comment:

• Chewi
    replied
    As the maintainer of Gentoo on m68k, I really don't care!

Leave a comment:

• soulsource
    replied
    Ah, the good old scream test.

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    I like these honest headlines.

Leave a comment:

• Linux Plans To Stop Building a.out Support On Alpha & M68k To See If Anyone Cares

Phoronix: Linux Plans To Stop Building a.out Support On Alpha & M68k To See If Anyone Cares

Back in 2019 that seems like an eternity ago with all that's gone on in the world, the Linux kernel deprecated a.out support. This executable / object code / shared library file format was used prior to the dominance of ELF but is seldom if ever used today. There have been pending patches to finally remove a.out from the kernel while the plan now is to stop building it on Alpha and Motorola 68000 targets to see if anyone notices/cares...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X