Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mold 1.1.1 Released With Optimized Memory Usage, New Options

Phoronix: Mold 1.1.1 Released With Optimized Memory Usage, New Options

A new version of the high performance, open-source Mold linker is now available with more feature additions and performance optimizations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The ebuild on gentoo seems to be actively maintained so I may need to give this a try

Comment

mold is 25 times faster than gold and to think that gold is already several times faster than the default linker that is still shipped with distros... the defaults should really be reconsidered. Linking a small to medium sized project with debug symbols and -fsanitize options already takes a full minute on my system, imagine a large project.

Comment

Optimizing for memory usage is good. The only thing that can link Chromium on 32bit is bfd, gold and lld need more than 4GB.

(in case anyone asks why one would run a 32bit system nowadays, I did until recently and the reason is inertia - the system was working, so why mess with it)

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
          The ebuild on gentoo seems to be actively maintained so I may need to give this a try
          I tried it and I thought it was fine, until I hit some issues when linking Firefox (I think). I disabled it for the time being, but perhaps it's worth trying again.
          I hadn't patched GCC, like the wiki says to do, perhaps that is the reason for it not working.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mold

There is a problem with latest GCC though:
          https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1147219-highlight-mold.html?sid=d2347e8c3b64bdd878d69912820b85a8
          Last edited by Azpegath; 08 March 2022, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post

I tried it and I thought it was fine, until I hit some issues when linking Firefox (I think). I disabled it for the time being, but perhaps it's worth trying again.
            I hadn't patched GCC, like the wiki says to do, perhaps that is the reason for it not working.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mold

There is a problem with latest GCC though:
            https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1147219-highlight-mold.html?sid=d2347e8c3b64bdd878d69912820b85a8
            I’m running a GCC-free system so I may have more luck with clang. I’ll give it a try in the near future for an emerge world and submit some tickets should anything fail

Comment

And there I was thinking Mold was using semver and 1.1.1 was a bugfix release...

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                mold is 25 times faster than gold and to think that gold is already several times faster than the default linker that is still shipped with distros... the defaults should really be reconsidered. Linking a small to medium sized project with debug symbols and -fsanitize options already takes a full minute on my system, imagine a large project.
                Linkers are a bit of an arcane piece of technology. I tried to learn more about them and build a toy linker when Mold was still < v1.0 and I didn't know about it yet. it was HARD finding modern linker articles or other sources. My first material was a book from the 80s.

It's fairly straightforward to just do linking tasks in series, but once you start to parallelize it's a different beast. And then of course there are more modern things like memory mapped files etc. that might not have been used by the old linkers causing them to be a "load all in memory, do things one by one, finalize" kind of approach.

Mold has shown the world how much of modern programming wasn't utilized in linkers. I think mostly just because "it works so why bother".

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  And there I was thinking Mold was using semver and 1.1.1 was a bugfix release...
                  Semver is a gimmick for codemonkeys, forget about it in the real world, where you actually need to read the goddamn changelog.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post
                    Some operating systems like FreeBSD / OpenBSD and OnenMandriva have already moved away from the bfd linker to lld.

Comment

Working...
                    X