Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Kernel Moving Ahead With Going From C89 To C11 Code

Phoronix: Linux Kernel Moving Ahead With Going From C89 To C11 Code

It looks like for the Linux 5.18 kernel cycle coming up it could begin allowing modern C11 code to be accepted rather than the current Linux kernel codebase being limited to the C89 standard...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yay for // style comments instead of the /* */ ones that I always forget which side the * goes on! Without a color coding text editor I was always like how do I block comment in this C/C++ program!

Comment

As I regularly compile my Kernel with -std=gnu18 (GCC) or -std=gnu2x (Clang), everyone can try it out already if they are using a recent enough version. Of course I hope that using some of the new language features bring user-visible improvements, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        Of course I hope that using some of the new language features bring user-visible improvements, too.
        Given the low-level nature of C, is that likely?

Comment

I really like those new additions to the kernel. The -Werror addition was great, too.

Comment

In 67 years from now we will likely hit the famous Year 89 bug...

Comment

Does it mean we will be able to use VLA arrays in Linux too?

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                Yay for // style comments instead of the /* */ ones that I always forget which side the * goes on! Without a color coding text editor I was always like how do I block comment in this C/C++ program!
                Well, the first character begins like //

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                  VLA arrays seem to have been removed from the kernel some years ago because of security and portability concerns: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-Kills-The-VLA

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post
                    I don't think so. How do you handle the error, when the memory is not sufficient? You can easily get a stack overflow.

Comment

Working...
                    X