Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.17-rc6 Released To Cap Off A Crazy Week

Phoronix: Linux 5.17-rc6 Released To Cap Off A Crazy Week

Linus Torvalds just released Linux 5.17-rc6 to cap off the week that he describes as "nobody can claim that last week was *normal*, but whatever crazy things are going on in the world (and I personally had "Zombieapocalypse" on my bingo card, not "Putin has a mental breakdown"), it doesn't seem to have affected the kernel much."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Modern version of the Godwin's rule should be about Putin.

Comment

mshigorin

You're celebrating right now, aren't you?

After all, Russia's bad joke of a domestic chip called "Elbrus" will finally make a local breakthrough.

Just too bad that most of your fellow countrymen are going to be pissed once they realize that they are unable to play "S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - Heart of Chernobyl" developed in the free Ukraine on that abomination of a CPU.

But I digress...

Alex Deucher (1):
      PCI:
      Mark all AMD Navi10 and Navi14 GPU ATS as broken
      But why?

Comment

It's a sad thing when someone who's incharge of such an important freedom oriented project as Linux Kernel starts dweling about things he knows nothing about, but, to be frank, Linus is a Swede from Finland who lives and works in the US, it was not unexpected.

Programmers in general have an issue with "narrow vision", they have hard time conceptulize anything more complex than set if logic here, connected with set of logic there, their brains are trained to think that way since early days of life, hence it would be unreasonable to expect from them to understand some things that are "a bit" more complex than coding.

Add to that mass propaganda and general ignorance of (especially US) public about world events, and you get a winner combination.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post
          It's a sad thing when someone who's incharge of such an important freedom oriented project as Linux Kernel starts dweling about things he knows nothing about, but, to be frank, Linus is a Swede from Finland who lives and works in the US, it was not unexpected.

Programmers in general have an issue with "narrow vision", they have hard time conceptulize anything more complex than set if logic here, connected with set of logic there, their brains are trained to think that way since early days of life, hence it would be unreasonable to expect from them to understand some things that are "a bit" more complex than coding.

Add to that mass propaganda and general ignorance of (especially US) public about world events, and you get a winner combination.
          a country invades another one, which was not threatening by any reasonable means, causing dozen or thousand of deaths. There's nothing about US, context of so called-narrow vision, propaganda or whatever, this is just the minimal set of facts and Linus is a factual person. It's sad when people loose their minds by running away from facts and build up a paranoid, irresponsible, selfish vision of the world.

Comment

It's a sad thing when someone who's incharge of such an important freedom oriented project as Linux Kernel starts dweling about things he knows nothing about
            Sounds like you have a different opinion from him but I don't believe you have explained why it is sad or ignorant for him to have the position he has. Feel free to explain that.

Comment

Originally posted by eoerl View Post

a country invades another one, which was not threatening by any reasonable means, causing dozen or thousand of deaths. There's nothing about US, context of so called-narrow vision, propaganda or whatever, this is just the minimal set of facts and Linus is a factual person. It's sad when people loose their minds by running away from facts and build up a paranoid, irresponsible, selfish vision of the world.
              I don't think it would be any use to explain things to you, but, search on youtube "Kyiv", you have a live cam streams 24/7. The reason why I'm suggesting this to you, is because you will notice that City (and other cities) are well lit. Now, this is important, if the goal of "invasion" (wrong term) was to kill as many people as possible, they would hit power plants and distribution with "graphite bombs" (illegal AFAIK). The reason I'm mentioning that is quite simple, I can quote at least one war where US/NATO did actually attack the country (illegaly ofc.) where they used those bombs, and where cities were not only in dark for hours or most of the day, but they purposly struck water supplies and they have gone so far to strike TV stations and press (another warcrime).

What is interesting about all of this, is that you likely did not cry crocodile tears about "poor civilians" and so on at that time..., ofc. the two situations are totally uncomparable, and what US/NATO did is orders of magnitude worse than anything that is happening now in Ukraine, even if we set aside and say that situations are identical and comparable. Not to mention that Chinese ambasy did some nice job of noting all conflicts in the world since 1945., there was about 248 give or take, and in about 200 US was involved (most of the time initiated), none of them were legal, and this is only US, I'm not even mentioning others (whho are either puppets or hiding behind US).

So please, don't lecture me about morality and selfishness. I will not waste time ine xplaining it to you, you either see it or don't.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Sounds like you have a different opinion from him but I don't believe you have explained why it is sad or ignorant for him to have the position he has. Feel free to explain that.
                Haha, well, first of, that "joke" is at the level of maturity you would expect from 6 to 12 years old at best, that's first, and that by itself is tragic and sad (to be fair to Linus, majority of the world population is immature, it's a tragedy of the modern societies). As far as why it's ignorant, well, we have two options, he could be either ignorant or evil, I assume best in people, so I refuse to believe he's evil, but, that's the possibility I can't prove or disprove. The thing about his "comment" is, that such comments are the worst type of comments, they just fuel propaganda further in not so subtile ways, and they do contribute towards general opinion as well, because, immature people tend to idoalize other people (personality cult), so logic is simple "He's X, he thinks Y, he must be right, I think Y..." of unsuspecting/ignorant observer. So, you get the multiplication of ignorant people with an opinion about topics they are cluless about.

Comment

As far as why it's ignorant, well, we have two options, he could be either ignorant or evil
                  Nope, we have many more options including the very simple possibility that he holds an opinion different from yours.

Comment

I don't think it would be any use to explain things to you, but, search on youtube "Kyiv", you have a live cam streams 24/7. The reason why I'm suggesting this to you, is because you will notice that City (and other cities) are well lit. Now, this is important, if the goal of "invasion" (wrong term) was to kill as many people as possible, they would hit power plants and distribution with "graphite bombs" (illegal AFAIK). The reason I'm mentioning that is quite simple, I can quote at least one war where US/NATO did actually attack the country (illegaly ofc.) where they used those bombs, and where cities were not only in dark for hours or most of the day, but they purposly struck water supplies and they have gone so far to strike TV stations and press (another warcrime).

What is interesting about all of this, is that you likely did not cry crocodile tears about "poor civilians" and so on at that time..., ofc. the two situations are totally uncomparable, and what US/NATO did is orders of magnitude worse than anything that is happening now in Ukraine, even if we set aside and say that situations are identical and comparable. Not to mention that Chinese ambasy did some nice job of noting all conflicts in the world since 1945., there was about 248 give or take, and in about 200 US was involved (most of the time initiated), none of them were legal, and this is only US, I'm not even mentioning others (whho are either puppets or hiding behind US).

So please, don't lecture me about morality and selfishness. I will not waste time ine xplaining it to you, you either see it or don't.
                    Yeah, yeah, we get it:

You're a Serbian still salty that your warcrimes-committing puny army were bombed to dust by US forces.

But maybe you should also mention the reason why it was very much morally right to do so?

Here, have some education - you obviously are in dire need:

Comment

Working...
                    X