X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Tell that to the ones running factories with still-working several-decade-old machinery that only accept FAT. ;p
    FAT is actively maintained and supported. ReiserFS isn't (I think it even still needs a giant kernel lock FFS).

Leave a comment:

• tildearrow
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

If people are still relying on an unmaintained filesystem it's more than time to back up and reformat.
    Tell that to the ones running factories with still-working several-decade-old machinery that only accept FAT. ;p

Leave a comment:

• a7v-user
    replied
    I liked that Reiserfs is very compact, especially if you have a volume with many small files.
    I mean a 380ish GB Reiserfs volume would take up 420ish GB on ext4. Might not seem like a big difference but it's the difference between 40 GB free instead of 80 GB free on a normal sized 500(460) GB disk.

Leave a comment:

• zxy_thf
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    I wonder about JFS as well. I use JFS on any old system I put Linux on because it is supposed to be the lightest on CPU of any Linux FS, but you don't hear about JFS getting much love today.
    I just checked the commit message and interestingly enough the last commit for JFS is in Nov 2021, for a memory leak.

So I'm guessing it's being passively maintained by a few people in interests?

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
    For people still needing it, it could be developed as the DKMS module.
    If people are still relying on an unmaintained filesystem it's more than time to back up and reformat.

Leave a comment:

• bug77
    replied
    First they spend years on supporting this when it was clear it will be DOA and when they figure it out, they drop it.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Nope, that is very risky. At least in the past, used btrfs convert to convert my ext4 partition to btrfs in Debian a few years back and it trashed the whole fs.
    out of all the issues I have had, this is actually the one area that has been flawless for me I have converted I think about 11 systems and not a single one has had issues

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    I wonder about JFS as well. I use JFS on any old system I put Linux on because it is supposed to be the lightest on CPU of any Linux FS, but you don't hear about JFS getting much love today.

Leave a comment:

• kylew77
    replied
    Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    the best thing about btrfs is btrfs convert.
    Nope, that is very risky. At least in the past, used btrfs convert to convert my ext4 partition to btrfs in Debian a few years back and it trashed the whole fs.

Leave a comment:

• Sin2x
    replied
    Hopefully, Hans gets free by that time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X