Linux's ReiserFS Plan Is To Deprecate It, Remove The File-System In 2025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Just stop echoing this stale "joke". It lost any humor value if it had any, a long time ago and is in extremely poor taste.
    Sorry, I'll stop once it's gone. But not before.
    MurderFS should have been excised a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

I don't see how your "joke" is supposed to help with it. It is being removed because it is not maintained anyway, so you are adding nothing useful here.

Comment

Originally posted by a7v-user View Post
        I liked that Reiserfs is very compact, especially if you have a volume with many small files.
        I mean a 380ish GB Reiserfs volume would take up 420ish GB on ext4. Might not seem like a big difference but it's the difference between 40 GB free instead of 80 GB free on a normal sized 500(460) GB disk.
        It was the first Linux FS to support tail packing but btrfs does it too.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

Just stop echoing this stale "joke". It lost any humor value if it had any, a long time ago and is in extremely poor taste.
          This. I'm also really sick of this "joke" that comes up in every discussion about ReiserFS. There is nothing funny about a man who murdered his wife, it's not something one should talk lightly about. Once he serves his sentence as determined by the judiciary he will be allowed to walk free, start again in life and hopefully, maybe, become a better person. That's the law and it's ok, but the loss and grief felt by Nina's loved ones will never disappear. Out of respect, we should never make fun of that.
          Last edited by jacob; 28 February 2022, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Or maybe you will stop when you reach the mental age of 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
              Hopefully, Hans gets free by that time.
              Hopefully not. His sentence should be 25 years to life. The only reason it's not is because the scumbag hid his wife's body.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Hopefully not. His sentence should be 25 years to life. The only reason it's not is because the scumbag hid his wife's body.
                His sentence is what the judge decided and hopefully he will be released once he served it in full and not before. By the way IANAL but I don't see how hiding the body could be a mitigating circumstance.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  In 2023 he will be eligible for another parole hearing. It is unlikely parole will be granted this time either since he has not done what is typically required of such inmates (accept responsibility for the crime, shown remorse, etc.), and inmates convicted of murder rarely get paroled in their first few hearings. And since late last year he has been in a prison for those with long term medical or acute mental health needs.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                    His sentence is what the judge decided and hopefully he will be released once he served it in full and not before.
                    The sentence is 15 to life. He will only be released before the life part if the parole board believes that he is truly reformed, and is no longer a threat to society.

By the way IANAL but I don't see how hiding the body could be a mitigating circumstance.
                    He was convicted of 1st degree murder (that can mean 25 to life, or life without parole, or even death (but California has suspended capital punishment)), but because Nina's family desperately wanted closure by finding a body, they accepted a plea deal to downgrade to 2nd degree murder (15 to life) in order for Hans to show them where the body was buried. Hans agreed, and kept his part of the bargain and took the authorities right to the body without hesitation, and received 15 to life sentence.

Comment

I don't think I've ever used ReiserFS. I vaguely remember it being an option at install time back with SuSE 9.3(?), reading the "still experimental" warning and going with... uh... XFS? I forget precisely.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                      There is nothing funny about a man who murdered his wife, it's not something one should talk lightly about.
                      There's nothing funny about murder period. That doesn't stop a chunk of the internet, on Twitter etc. who seem to think making death threats or SWATting people is akin to classic comedy.

Comment

Working...
                      X