No announcement yet.

Linux's ReiserFS Plan Is To Deprecate It, Remove The File-System In 2025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First they spend years on supporting this when it was clear it will be DOA and when they figure it out, they drop it.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
      For people still needing it, it could be developed as the DKMS module.
      If people are still relying on an unmaintained filesystem it's more than time to back up and reformat.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
        I wonder about JFS as well. I use JFS on any old system I put Linux on because it is supposed to be the lightest on CPU of any Linux FS, but you don't hear about JFS getting much love today.
        I just checked the commit message and interestingly enough the last commit for JFS is in Nov 2021, for a memory leak.

So I'm guessing it's being passively maintained by a few people in interests?

Comment

I liked that Reiserfs is very compact, especially if you have a volume with many small files.
          I mean a 380ish GB Reiserfs volume would take up 420ish GB on ext4. Might not seem like a big difference but it's the difference between 40 GB free instead of 80 GB free on a normal sized 500(460) GB disk.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

If people are still relying on an unmaintained filesystem it's more than time to back up and reformat.
            Tell that to the ones running factories with still-working several-decade-old machinery that only accept FAT. ;p

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Tell that to the ones running factories with still-working several-decade-old machinery that only accept FAT. ;p
              FAT is actively maintained and supported. ReiserFS isn't (I think it even still needs a giant kernel lock FFS).

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

FAT isn't comparable. It is a very simple filesystem and we have several well maintained implementations for all major operating systems.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

FAT isn't comparable.
                  Nothing is really comparable to Reiser though. It has certain killer features.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    I wonder about JFS as well. I use JFS on any old system I put Linux on because it is supposed to be the lightest on CPU of any Linux FS, but you don't hear about JFS getting much love today.
                    I bet there are plenty of mainframes out there running JFS.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Nothing is really comparable to Reiser though. It has certain killer features.
                      Just stop echoing this stale "joke". It lost any humor value if it had any, a long time ago and is in extremely poor taste.

Comment

Working...
                      X