No announcement yet.

Linux Developers Discuss Deprecating & Removing ReiserFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You make some fair points, but keep in mind Mr Reiser is not in a vacuum, he is a member of the global community. We can point fingers at him over his domestic dispute, or we can accept the responsibility that each one of us bears in this. As such, you and I are just as guilty as Mr Reiser, perhaps more so, due to our positions of societal privilege. Instead of condemning him for participating in the events of his domestic dispute, can we at least acknowledge that we are all in the process of dying, each one of us. Our clocks are ticking towards finality, for each of us, with every passing minute. Who is to say the kinetic disturbance of Nina's physical person was an act of "killing"? This kind of accusatory language does not heal divisions, does not help Mr Reiser, and does nothing to uplift our community.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      You make some fair points, but keep in mind Mr Reiser is not in a vacuum, he is a member of the global community. We can point fingers at him over his domestic dispute, or we can accept the responsibility that each one of us bears in this. As such, you and I are just as guilty as Mr Reiser, perhaps more so, due to our positions of societal privilege. Instead of condemning him for participating in the events of his domestic dispute, can we at least acknowledge that we are all in the process of dying, each one of us. Our clocks are ticking towards finality, for each of us, with every passing minute. Who is to say the kinetic disturbance of Nina's physical person was an act of "killing"? This kind of accusatory language does not heal divisions, does not help Mr Reiser, and does nothing to uplift our community.
      Free Hans Reiser! In America, the law states that a man owes a woman his entire life upon marriage, and that a woman owes a man exactly nothing before, during or after a marriage. She and millions of other women trapped a man with children, then no-fault divorced him, lied in family court, took his children and used them as pawns and leverage to control him. I can respect a man who loves his children enough to snap, I have a harder time respecting a man who will lay down and accept a lifetime of financial slavery to a woman he was foolish enough to trust while she abuses his children. Of course, as a man, the smarter thing to do is to not get married when your culture has thoroughly disincentivized you from doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by King InuYasha View Post
        Citation needed. It says "political reasons" but doesn't cite anything.
        The reasons included that the filesystem did not strictly conform to the current kernel design approaches for new file systems (although a refactor could occur if Shishkin desired to do so, although no such interest was apparently offered), but most importantly, there is no (well funded) organization to champion the filesystem and commit to maintenance. One person, no matter how talented, is no longer considered sufficient depth in resources for a new major file system in the linux kernel that others may come to depend on, and namesys.com is no more, and there is no successor organization.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post

The 20 years ago argument can be made for almost all the linux filesystems.

I am not even entirely sure that ext4 had caught up in features/performance to the original reiserfs yet ...
          yes it has. ext4 has recieved active development and still does, gets new features. It has more features than reiser, and performs better.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post

I wonder if it takes such people to push forward big things, society pushes people to be average, like using bad programming languages and concepts like Java/C# and OOP or now Python, why so that you can replace people easier when each retard and herd follower does the exactly same it's easier to replace them, even if the resulting products are 100 times worse, it does not matter you can put it throw 100 times as much people onte the problem, developers are very cheap for what they do (replace the work of thousends or more permanently often). People even like the guy behind the Python language also cut down his social live totally when creating the language.
            So you have to be either asocial, slightly autistic or something and know that every person on the planet fights against you if you try to do something great.

And it's similar in business there you also have this psychopaths, it's just that if they murder 100 people with some business transaction about weapons or food, this murder acts are somehow legalized. Steve Ballmer and Steve Jobs are also not really considered neurologically totally normal, Ballmer is at least a colerical person and Jobs was a narcicist and probably a sociopath.
            My mouth is on the floor right now. I'm not sure which is worse, comparing literal murder to using a programming language you don't like, or comparing litteral murder to being a little weird or a shutin. Either case, this isn't cool.

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
            I don't think perfectly mentally healthy people can do something great in computer science. Ohh we can even go further, Elon Mask has clearly some personality disorder(s), genious or just the will to not be average and crazyness is very close.
            Elon Musk's dad is rich, so he had $$$ to invest in paypal when it first started and then buy out Tesla when it was nothing. He's NOT one of us, despite being a dork. He's got more in common with Gates, Jobs, or Balmer.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              Aaaaaand like always, the Reiser thread somehow required a post about murder.
              It always stops any discussion about the file-system.

Even the mail thread states:

...but of course, every ReiserFS discussion here inevitably ends like this...
              People need to grow up I agree,
              can somebody tell me what are some of ReiserFS killer features?

Comment

Originally posted by Duff~ View Post

People need to grow up I agree,
                can somebody tell me what are some of ReiserFS killer features?
                It was a rather advanced file system for its time, with features that were a novelty.
                However, since its development froze, other file systems have surpassed it.

Comment

Working...
                X