Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Volta View Post
    Raka555

Reiserfs wasn't the fastest Linux file system. I bet ext4 is much faster in most cases.
    Ext4 was not the fastest either. In fact the early ext3/ext4 filesystem were extremely slow.
    20 years of optimizing might have paid off.

Comment

Originally posted by billyswong View Post
      The teaching seems to be: don't name a project after one's own name unless you want your project's reputation die with yourself.
      it didn't work out that way with Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

it didn't work out that way with Debian.
        I bet only a small percentage of people know that it stands for Debra and Ian
        Last edited by Raka555; 24 February 2022, 03:42 AM.

Comment

I don't know why I am kind of defending reiserfs, I was not a big fan.

I was an early adopter of reiserfs around 2000, but then it failed catastrophically on the main mail server of the University where I was working.
          When I tried to run an fsck, I got the message "This is the act of a deperate man ..."
          Needless to say it did not work and I had to restores from backups.

I never touched reiserfs again since that day.

XFS was my go-to filesystem for a very long time. But you could end up with the files (that was open) all zero'ed when the power fails suddenly or in case of a kernel crash.
          Nvidia drivers were prone to lock up your kernel back then.

When ext4 was released in 2008, it had less features than the 1994 designed XFS, so ext4 failed to impress me.

So none of the linux filesystems are actually truly modern (maybe btrfs is an exception)
          The news around btrfs just never inspired confidence.

The 2006 released ZFS is setting the trend ... (it has its own issues)
          Last edited by Raka555; 23 February 2022, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Yeah, he did plenty of benchmarks back in the day when reiserfs was relevant (and even beyond that). Searching for them is an exercise left to you.
            Or, if you want the TL;DR version - ext4 made reiserfs irrelevant.
            It seems that you don't follow the news, as Reiser5 is more advanced than ZFS and Btrfs and is specifically designed to fix their shortcomings.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
              I don't know why I am kind of defending reiserfs, I was not a big fan.

I was an early adopter of reiserfs around 2000, but then it failed catastrophically on the main mail server of the University where I was working.
              When I tried to run an fsck, I got the message "This is the act of a deperate man ..."
              Needless to say it did not work and I had to restores from backups.

I never touched reiserfs again since that day.

XFS was my go-to filesystem for a very long time. But you could end up with the files (that was open) all zero'ed when the power fails suddenly or in case of a kernel crash.
              Nvidia drivers were prone to lock up your kernel back then.

When ext4 was released in 2008, it had less features than the 1994 designed XFS, so ext4 failed to impress me.

I remember when JFS was a thing. Those were the days!

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post
                It seems that you don't follow the news, as Reiser5 is more advanced than ZFS and Btrfs and is specifically designed to fix their shortcomings.
                It seems you don't understand context, as we're talking about the original reiserfs found in the kernel. Reiser4/5 lives out-of-tree.

Comment

Originally posted by Sin2x View Post

I remember when JFS was a thing. Those were the days!
                  JFS was an interesting filesystem.
                  It had very slow meta data operations (slow to find files etc)

But is had synchronous write performance that was out of this world.
                  Unfortunately it had a tendency to lock up under heavy load (I won't be surprised if that bug is still present)

I am not following filesystem news anymore maybe JFS has also been dropped from the kernel.

Comment

It seems you don't understand context, as we're talking about the original reiserfs found in the kernel. Reiser4/5 lives out-of-tree.
                    I last tested reiser4 on rotating media and at that time it wiped the floor with all the other filesystems.

Only thing that prevented me from using reiser4 was that it was not in the mainline kernel.
                    I had my share of non-bootups after a kernel update.

But with SSDs the emphasis moved from disk layout to parallelism .

Ext2 is not an option these days because of the lack of journaling, but ext2 had insane parallelism back in the day.
                    (Also not sure if it is even still in the kernel)
                    It might actually be an option on laptop since Apple also play with fire: https://mobile.twitter.com/marcan42/...13855387734019
                    Last edited by Raka555; 23 February 2022, 04:37 AM.

Comment

For original ReiserFS I have to agree no benchmarking is necessary, it's simply obsolete, however people report to be still using it. Let's see if anybody comes to the mailing list during the deprecation stage.

Comment

Working...
                      X