No announcement yet.

Linux Developers Discuss Deprecating & Removing ReiserFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember doing file system comparisons when I was first getting into Linux, and reiserfs was one of the standouts at the time. Jeez I feel old.

For the record, I don't care if HR dies on the inside
    Yeah, Human Resources are the worst

Comment

ReiserFS was introduced 21 years ago
      Fuck has it been that long ago? Makes you feel ancient.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fpics.me.me%2Fi-was-there-gandalf-december-19th-2001-34691903.png&f=1&nofb=1.png

Comment

Originally posted by steve007 View Post
        He was convicted of 2nd degree murder by way of a plea deal, not a computer crime such as hacking or CP. Also, if and when he gets parole, then conditions will be set; not at sentencing. Would they blanket ban every released prisoner from ever using a computer? I don't see how that is practical. Permanent banning of internet (even beyond parole) is likely reserved for specific crimes, like hacking or CP, that are related to computer use.
        For the record, I don't care if HR dies on the inside, I'm just addressing the legal point.
        It's been a while and maybe I am remembering it wrong. Maybe not >never< touch a computer but something about him him not having access to a computer so that he wasn't able to continue working on the FS from jail. Or maybe he just refused to want to work on it from jail? It was something like that. There was some specific thing that was either he himself imposed or was imposed on him that stopped his further development from jail. Something like that.

You're right though that his crime was a plea to 2nd degree and not a computer crime so it's not really preventing him from ever using computers. I'm no FS expert but in it's early incarnation, it was always talked about as being very advanced compared to what was around at the time. Lot's changed since then though.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          Aaaaaand like always, the Reiser thread somehow required a post about murder.
          It always stops any discussion about the file-system.

Even the mail thread states:

...but of course, every ReiserFS discussion here inevitably ends like this...
          Yeah, I know. Also kinda hard to talk about Monica Lewinsky without...you know...stuff.

Comment

What happens if the system still runs ReiserFS and then someone upgrades the kernel?

Comment

Good riddance. It had its time and place for technical reasons, but that's long gone. Time to move on...

Comment

Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
                What happens if the system still runs ReiserFS and then someone upgrades the kernel?
                What happens if someone still relies on floppy disks and upgrades their kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post

It's been a while and maybe I am remembering it wrong. Maybe not >never< touch a computer but something about him him not having access to a computer so that he wasn't able to continue working on the FS from jail. Or maybe he just refused to want to work on it from jail? It was something like that. There was some specific thing that was either he himself imposed or was imposed on him that stopped his further development from jail. Something like that.

You're right though that his crime was a plea to 2nd degree and not a computer crime so it's not really preventing him from ever using computers. I'm no FS expert but in it's early incarnation, it was always talked about as being very advanced compared to what was around at the time. Lot's changed since then though.
                  Yeah, I kinda remember something like that. He was wanting access to a computer (maybe internet too) to "continue his work", but the court threw that fantasy straight out. Frankly I think in some topsy-turvy reality where that was granted, I think the filesystem would already have been long gone from the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

What happens if someone still relies on floppy disks and upgrades their kernel?
                    It'll work better than it did before because someone stepped up and fixed a long standing (decade old) bug in the PC floppy controller driver recently that caused hangs.

Not necessarily going to be true with ReiserFS going forward. Seriously though. If someone has data on an old ReiserFS formatted drive they can figure out what to do.

Comment

The teaching seems to be: don't name a project after one's own name unless you want your project's reputation die with yourself.

Comment

Working...
                      X