Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Developers Discuss Deprecating & Removing ReiserFS

Phoronix: Linux Developers Discuss Deprecating & Removing ReiserFS

Besides no discussion in years over possibly upstreaming Reiser4 nor have any been brought up about eventually trying to mainline Reiser5, it looks like the original and feature-rich for its original time ReiserFS file-system could be on its way out of the Linux kernel in 2022...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So he's up for parole next year

Comment

You know what Linux could use right now?

yet another file system.

Said no one ever. There are enough production grade FSs in use. Reiser is 20 years ago. No one gives a fuck about Reiser 4/5.

Especially not after one named after a dude who murdered his wife.

Comment

Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
        You know what Linux could use right now?

Reiser is 20 years ago. No one gives a fuck about Reiser 4/5. Especially not after one named after a dude who murdered his wife.
        Amen to that. Supposedly the dude was brilliant but wasn't part of his sentence that he could >never< touch a computer ever again? Parole or not, do you really want the kernel clinging on to the FS by "the dude who killed his wife"? He's not going to continue where he left off. Come on, right? His next hearing is in 2023. What are the odds that the judge is going to say he's a free man? Slim to none.

Comment

So purge all code that is connected to any shady individual? I find technical reasons more convincing.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
            So purge all code that is connected to any shady individual? I find technical reasons more convincing.
            technical reasons is all that is mentioned in the kernel mail

Comment

Wow this article took a turn I would never expect.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
                The code will always live on, right? All I'm saying is that Reiser had *his* vision for the FS. No one else can be in his mind or know in what direction he would have taken it had he not gone to jail. But he is in jail and no one can interpolate in place of Reiser. If he stays or dies in jail, the furtherance of the code will basically die with him.

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
                  ...but wasn't part of his sentence that he could >never< touch a computer ever again?
                  He was convicted of 2nd degree murder by way of a plea deal, not a computer crime such as hacking or CP. Also, if and when he gets parole, then conditions will be set; not at sentencing. Would they blanket ban every released prisoner from ever using a computer? I don't see how that is practical. Permanent banning of internet (even beyond parole) is likely reserved for specific crimes, like hacking or CP, that are related to computer use.
                  For the record, I don't care if HR dies on the inside, I'm just addressing the legal point.

Comment

Aaaaaand like always, the Reiser thread somehow required a post about murder.
                    It always stops any discussion about the file-system.

Even the mail thread states:
                    NB: Please don't discuss the personalities involved.
                    ...but of course, every ReiserFS discussion here inevitably ends like this...
                    Last edited by tildearrow; 22 February 2022, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X