X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raka555
    replied
    Originally posted by GI_Jack View Post
    You know what Linux could use right now?

yet another file system.

Said no one ever. There are enough production grade FSs in use. Reiser is 20 years ago. No one gives a fuck about Reiser 4/5.

Especially not after one named after a dude who murdered his wife.
    The 20 years ago argument can be made for almost all the linux filesystems.

I am not even entirely sure that ext4 had caught up in features/performance to the original reiserfs yet ...
    Last edited by Raka555; 23 February 2022, 03:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• vladimir86
    replied
    Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
    So purge all code that is connected to any shady individual? I find technical reasons more convincing.
    Well, not being Y2038 compatible and not having enough maintainers and users seems to have more weith

Leave a comment:

• Sin2x
    replied
    Edward is an active maintainer, so it's unlikely to be deprecated.

Also, Michael, in the article you say "Plus these days EXT4, XFS, and Btrfs are all better choices and even OpenZFS." -- do you have the benchmarks to defend your point? Would be nice to see those, especially with a lot of small files on the partition, like in the real world as opposed to the synthetic lab tests.

Leave a comment:

• Berniyh
    replied
    Originally posted by fagnerln View Post
    What happens if the system still runs ReiserFS and then someone upgrades the kernel?
    For the moment it would run just fine (unless you hit a bug due to code rot), but the kernel will spit out a warning that the filesystem is deprecated.
    Just like it already does due to the 2038 incompatibility (didn't try, but the problem is mentioned in the text, so there will be a warning).
    At some point it will be removed and in that case the filesystem won't mount anymore, because the kernel does not know it.
    But of course you can still use some live system or a custom patched kernel to get your data.

Honestly though... noone with a functioning brain would use this filesystem these days. There just is exactly zero reasons to do that.
    Personally, I would also claim that everybody using Reiser4/5 is out of their mind, too. But that's a different story.

Linux has enough great filesystems, there is no point in having Reiser*.

And if you happen to find some old disk formatted with ReiserFS that you need to get data from, then it should be possible to build the module out of kernel.
    Or maybe there will be a fuse driver.

Leave a comment:

• billyswong
    replied
    Originally posted by gavron View Post

Don't name a project after yourself.

OR... this being FOSS... do whatever YOU want with naming YOUR stuff, and if someone else thinks it's good enough to use, but not the name or the developer continuing to be associated with it, they'll just fork it.

E
    Most projects aren't popular enough to survive this kind of incident by forking.

Leave a comment:

• billbo
    replied
    Originally posted by billyswong View Post
    The teaching seems to be: don't name a project after one's own name unless you want your project's reputation die with yourself.
    And have your project deprecated as well? If that's the rule, then we are damn lucky that Linus seems to be a good guy...

Leave a comment:

• gavron
    replied
    Originally posted by billyswong View Post
    The teaching seems to be: don't name a project after one's own name unless you want your project's reputation die with yourself.
    Don't name a project after yourself.

OR... this being FOSS... do whatever YOU want with naming YOUR stuff, and if someone else thinks it's good enough to use, but not the name or the developer continuing to be associated with it, they'll just fork it.

E

Leave a comment:

• billyswong
    replied

Leave a comment:

• stormcrow
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post

What happens if someone still relies on floppy disks and upgrades their kernel?
    It'll work better than it did before because someone stepped up and fixed a long standing (decade old) bug in the PC floppy controller driver recently that caused hangs.

Not necessarily going to be true with ReiserFS going forward. Seriously though. If someone has data on an old ReiserFS formatted drive they can figure out what to do.

Leave a comment:

• steve007
    replied
    Originally posted by kozman View Post

It's been a while and maybe I am remembering it wrong. Maybe not >never< touch a computer but something about him him not having access to a computer so that he wasn't able to continue working on the FS from jail. Or maybe he just refused to want to work on it from jail? It was something like that. There was some specific thing that was either he himself imposed or was imposed on him that stopped his further development from jail. Something like that.

You're right though that his crime was a plea to 2nd degree and not a computer crime so it's not really preventing him from ever using computers. I'm no FS expert but in it's early incarnation, it was always talked about as being very advanced compared to what was around at the time. Lot's changed since then though.
    Yeah, I kinda remember something like that. He was wanting access to a computer (maybe internet too) to "continue his work", but the court threw that fantasy straight out. Frankly I think in some topsy-turvy reality where that was granted, I think the filesystem would already have been long gone from the kernel.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X