Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FBDEV Console Patches Optimize Performance - Print Directory Listing ~25% Faster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
    Glad to see scrolling coming back. When I noticed it was removed it as a real WTF moment...
    Don't rejoice too soon. Scrolling is a feature of the vt, this is only about fbdev. The optimization here is related to how fast the whole screen scrolls up when a new line is appended. Not about manual scrolling which was removed due to security concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
      I don't know how I feel about this. I really hoped the lack of maintainer and loss of functionality would finally give impetus to a userspace solution. Personally, I use kmscon with hwaccel, it's okay, fast enough, looks okay, but really isn't a complete solution and feels unfinished.
      There were/are two movements. One is adding more cruft to the most basic non-serial terminal you can get with Linux, and the other is removing cruft from a proper graphics stack.
      In the blue corner: There once was the venerable VGA text console. Then hardware started providing a pixel framebuffer, and Linux went to combine its text terminal (vt.c) code with fbdev. Then someone made fbterm, a userspace graphical console bolted onto /dev/fb0. And later, kmscon using the same idea, but now with truetype support.
      In the red corner: the old fat X server, with an xterm (or god forbid, a bloated, laggy program, possibly with some GL to produce the looks of a curved surface monitor flickering its green phosphors). Then a lot of fat was cut, so to speak, with Wayland. Make the terminal fullscreen, you could almost forget there even was a Wayland session.
      The red option is almost as lightweight as the blue option now being fat. And at least for me, that explain's the stopped work on kmscon.

Comment

Still very slow. It takes 0.1s with gnome-terminal and of that only 0.03s are spent in user-space, the rest is spent in the kernel actually finding the files.

Comment

Working...
        X