No announcement yet.

Bcachefs Might Be Ready For Upstreaming In Linux This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using bcachefs since around 2018. The only problems I've run into were either fixed that day, or were caused by me not upgrading the filesystem versions properly. If anyone wants some quick and dirty tests I think I can find an SSD lying around.

IMO the biggest missing feature right now is scrubbing: https://bcachefs.org/bcachefs-princi...-operation.pdf
    image_1866.png
    Last edited by lyamc; 16 February 2022, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
      Bcachefs - a new Btrfs?
      it seems to be close to btrfs's state in 2008

Comment

I run a lot of stuff in VM's if this get's mainlined I could see me testing it. looks pretty cool

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
          Bcachefs - a new Btrfs?
          BTRFS' RAID5/6 are fundamentally broken - much like the RBMK nuclear reactor of Chernobyl (and several other meltdowns).

While bcachefs doesn't have RAID5/6 either, Kent seems to be doing a better job with filesystem design in general, even though he lacks the man power at this time.

Comment

Reiser5 is better.

Comment

Originally posted by vladpetric View Post

BTRFS' RAID5/6 are fundamentally broken - much like the RBMK nuclear reactor of Chernobyl (and several other meltdowns).

While bcachefs doesn't have RAID5/6 either, Kent seems to be doing a better job with filesystem design in general, even though he lacks the man power at this time.
              It's not that RAID5/6 "ON btrfs" fundamentally broken ... it's just not high enough on priority lists.
              But otherwise yes, RAID5/6 is fundamentally broken ...

No datacenter with serious amount of data is going to be using RAID5/6 anyway, because with larger disk sizes, it is becoming increasingly likely, that a RAID5 array does not survive a rebuild anyway. Cloud providers and backupers (Backblaze) have built their own distrubuted file systems.

I don't think implementing RAID5/6 for btrfs is even worth the effort. People are free to use md-raid and ZFS while the RAID5/6 concept still lasts.
              There's no real market for RAID5 anyway ... except Linux nerds in their garages, who would then blame it on btrfs, when their RAID arrays wouldn't rebuild, even if it was due to real errors on their crappy 10-year old SATA drives bought garage sale.

No, it's not worth it. There's plenty of other useful features that are worth more effort than RAID5.

Comment

It has erasure encoding. Which is basically the same as raid56.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  it seems to be close to btrfs's state in 2008
                  2008 Btrfs had the first internal prototype code at Oracle (Chris Mason joined Oracle in late 2007 to work on btrfs).
                  2009 (+1) got mainlined into Linux kernel.
                  2011 (+3) got scrubbing and defragmenting features
                  2012 (+4) SUSE and Oracle Linux changed it's status from "experimental" to "production" or "supported".
                  2015 (+7) it was adopted as the default filesystem for SUSE Enterprise Linux Server.

2015 Bcachefs was announced (after a few years' unfunded development)
                  2022 (+7) Bachefs may become mainlined as Experimental this year. According to a comment above, no scrubbing feature had been implemented yet.
                  Last edited by pkese; 17 February 2022, 07:00 AM.

Comment

Does it have compression built in? With btrfs I get to store ~30% more stuff by just enabling force-compress=zstd, which is a huge difference. If so, will definitely try it out. Currently using bcache under a LUKS/LVM layer and I don't even notice that I'm not actually using a HDD to store 90% of the bytes. It's magic. I've also been using btrfs since shortly after it got mainlined and never had any issues and no data loss (btrfs-rescue always gets the files back, even from unmountable fs).

Comment

Is Raid5/6 planned in Bcachefs?

Comment

Working...
                      X