Bcachefs Might Be Ready For Upstreaming In Linux This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

It depends on the reason: if they had not been fixed because a major rewrite of some related subsystem is planned that would make sense in an experimental fs.
    I am talking about bugs in bache, the block caching layer that has been in the mainline kernel for years, NOT about bcachefs.

As it is there are still rare, data corrupting bugs in bcache. Also many occasions where it bugs out and you have to reset a device, or cannot mount one anymore without the cache drive present.

Comment

One of the best things about bcachefs is that it works with shingled mechanical harddrives. Therefore you can create a nas using those cheaper drives using bcachefs.

Comment

Originally posted by hajj_3 View Post
        One of the best things about bcachefs is that it works with shingled mechanical harddrives. Therefore you can create a nas using those cheaper drives using bcachefs.
        btrfs also has support for host-managed SMR as of 5.13 or so - not sure about zfs

Comment

Bcachefs - a new Btrfs?

Comment

I'm surprised Kent didn't get more backing. Looking forward to eventually replacing btrfs with it!

Anyone who wants to support the development, head here: https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs

Comment

Nice, I'm really looking forward to it, especially with its tiered storage capabilities, as well as forward error-correction (roughly similar to raid5/6, on a file basis).

Although I'll have to revisit my backup plans, etc.

Having a `btrfs-send`-like tool is nice, I wish borg leveraged that.

Comment

Also, don't hesitate to support the author on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/bcachefs

Comment

Forget bcachefs, what's up with BUS1?

Comment

Would be really intersted in performance benchmarks.

Comment

It is spoken of as a ready-to-use file system, it is not, and it is unknown when it will be. I have always been away from new file systems, because there are always so many expectations, but also so many headaches and breakdowns .... if it is true that he has only one developer, I will try him in five years to be optimistic.

Comment

Working...
                      X