Rust For The Linux Kernel Sent Out For Review A Fourth Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jacob View Post

A remote can send messages to the TV over infrared but never actually receives any input. All it does is react to keypresses, one at a time. So even if the code it runs is theoretically vulnerable as hell, in the context there is basically no way to exploit it.
    So... you agree it it can deliver a payload to the TV to hack the TV, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by darkonix View Post

I guess the point is a TV should never trust input signal received from the infrared remote to be conformant to any scheme in the first place. One don't need to hack the TV remote; one can use a custom "remote" to send arbitrary infrared signal to the TV.

Comment

How would the payload get into the remote in the first place? If it's an antifeature or a built-in backdoor, it can be implemented in Rust just as well. The point is that if the remote is not harmful by itself but the code in it is crappy, then it's basically inexploitable.

Comment

• Originally posted by jacob View Post

How would the payload get into the remote in the first place? If it's an antifeature or a built-in backdoor, it can be implemented in Rust just as well. The point is that if the remote is not harmful by itself but the code in it is crappy, then it's basically inexploitable.
          I have a very old LG LCD tv that has an USB for service only. With a simple universal remote a series of clicks activated the media player function that was supposed to be disabled in that model. Same instructions said that using an infrared emitter connected to an audio jack and playing an mp3 file could achieve the same results. Not exactly the same scenario but it is a bit of a proof of concept.

TV security is probably non existent.

I imagine that more advanced remotes may exist in the future making them a more interesting target.

Comment

I have a very old LG LCD tv that has an USB for service only. With a simple universal remote a series of clicks activated the media player function that was supposed to be disabled in that model. Same instructions said that using an infrared emitter connected to an audio jack and playing an mp3 file could achieve the same results. Not exactly the same scenario but it is a bit of a proof of concept.

TV security is probably non existent.

I imagine that more advanced remotes may exist in the future making them a more interesting target.
            TV security is obviously nonexistent. Just to clarify I was not talking about attacking code within the TV using the remote, I was talking about the code in the remote itself. I really don't see how that one could have any security implications however badly implemented it may be.

Comment

• Looks dead to me. They're getting into some really serious issues now, like how to make Rust support optional (not all architectures support Rust, for instance IBM POWER and RISC-V). I don't have faith that they'll be able to resolve them.

Comment

Working...
              X