Rust For The Linux Kernel Sent Out For Review A Fourth Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
    I don't know your extent of skills in rust and C, but whatever they are, you and me have come to some very different conclusions. from my experience, It is far easier to write safe and good rust code, than it is to write safe and good C code.
    You're just telling me you don't have a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

You're just telling me you don't have a clue.
      you are absolutely right, when it comes to C, I am completely lost, just can't wrap my head around it like apparently you C wizards, Rust on the other hand? not so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

That's like Beavis calling Butthead a genius.
        Sounds like I hit a nerve ^^

Comment

Originally posted by brad0

No, you're just dumb.
          Adorable

Comment

Originally posted by betty567 View Post

C is not successful? The entire world runs on C code, and seems to work just fine. But sure, all of the Rust so code is sooooo high quality, and the world will be revolutionized as soon as the last bit of C code is re-written in Rust. Some naive programmers are going to be very disappointed when this never happens, and Rust, aka "the flavor of the week" fizzles out after an uneventful lifetime, just like Ruby did.
            What kind of stupid argument is that?
            Please stop, according to you if something is used by the entire world it is fine and every one should use it, then why are you even here? You should be running Windows on your PC, not the stupid 1% system no one uses.
            The world shows that often the widely used are not the best solution but the solution what was first on that market or the most easy to use (doesn't mean the best).

Comment

Originally posted by betty567 View Post
              But Rust doesn't use "garbage collection", it uses "unicorn farts that nobody can quite describe" but don't call it garbage collection, because garbage collection has a negative connotation. Rust is a win for it's own marketing folks, and nothing else.
              "I don't understand it therefore it is unicorn farts"

Comment

Originally posted by dragonn View Post

What kind of stupid argument is that?
                Please stop, according to you if something is used by the entire world it is fine and every one should use it, then why are you even here? You should be running Windows on your PC, not the stupid 1% system no one uses.
                The world shows that often the widely used are not the best solution but the solution what was first on that market or the most easy to use (doesn't mean the best).
                The funny thing is that the manufacturer of the 90%+ OS is experimenting with Rust. They have worked overnight to make and release an official Win32 API binding for Rust. And they are working with driver manufacturers to integrate Rust in the toolchain.

Who knows, maybe even MS engineers are stupid. The only intelligent people are betty567 and his/her pals.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

C is very mature but definitely not successful, at least not in terms of the quality of the software it has produced.
                  That's something new! The most advanced and successful operating system kernels are written in C. Probably the most advanced data base is written in C. Automotive industry (and any other serious industry) depends on C.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

Why bother? It's much more fun to just laugh at you.

Anyone genuinely interested in what Rust is can easily look that up themselves.
                    Can you show us how successful the Rust is? I'm not against it, but I'm trying to figure out on what basis some people formulate their claims.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

That's something new! The most advanced and successful operating system kernels are written in C. Probably the most advanced data base is written in C. Automotive industry (and any other serious industry) depends on C.
                      Yes, when there were no alternatives everybody had to use C. That doesn't mean it was a good, well designed or carefully thought through language. When all you have is a hammer etc... The Linux kernel for example already had a new buffer underflow exploit this year (CVE-2022-0185).

Comment

Working...
                      X