• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brad0
    replied
    Originally posted by catpig View Post
    Genius ^^
    That's like Beavis calling Butthead a genius.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by betty567 View Post

Then why don't you explain it all to us, Smitty?
    Why bother? It's much more fun to just laugh at you.

Anyone genuinely interested in what Rust is can easily look that up themselves.

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

Don't feed the troll
    Starve a troll, feed a kernel developer?

Leave a comment:

• CommunityMember
    replied
    Who said this is ever getting merged?
    Rust support will eventually get merged (if not this patch version, the next, or the next), because the advantages far outweigh the FUD that some resort to offering.

That does not mean rust will suddenly take over all of the linux kernel (it won't), but there is no provable downside to offering it as an alternative where it is a proper fit.

Leave a comment:

• rogerx
    replied
    Originally posted by jacob View Post

Oh my God, some software won't run on a CPU it doesn't support, what a scandal.
    Good one.

I'm not going to say anything, as a lot of (CPU) developers are probably going to laugh or say "Doh!" at that comment!

... not even going to state where you went wrong with that one ... ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc
    replied
    I would like to see this merged, it would lower the bar for entry into kernel hacking a decent chunk. recently mesa is has something using rust, so thats a win too, it will be slow, but we shall see rust get more and more popular

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerx View Post

wondering why their Firefox or Seamonkey browser, or other core system utility will not run on their CPU of choice.
    Oh my God, some software won't run on a CPU it doesn't support, what a scandal.

Leave a comment:

• jacob
    replied

C is not successful? The entire world runs on C code, and seems to work just fine. But sure, all of the Rust so code is sooooo high quality, and the world will be revolutionized as soon as the last bit of C code is re-written in Rust. Some naive programmers are going to be very disappointed when this never happens, and Rust, aka "the flavor of the week" fizzles out after an uneventful lifetime, just like Ruby did.
    The entire world runs on C code with never ending buffer overflows, data races, memory leaks, use after free errors, dangling pointers, subtle portability issues and other crashes (when not outright security vulnerabilities). When was the last time you saw a segfault? If your answer is not "today" then I don't believe you. As for Rust, don't worry about its future, it will be just fine. No one is going to rewrite the last bit of C code in Rust and plenty of new C code will be written too, but when the developers of various C/C++ projects express interest in Rust, there is probably a reason. I'm talking about Linux, Chrome, Rsvg, curl, GNOME and more. The operative word here is interest: it's the developers of those projects who decide to look at Rust to see if it could benefit them, it's not some sort of conspiracy by the Illuminati to brainwash those devs to start using Rust against their better judgement.
    Last edited by jacob; 12 February 2022, 10:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rogerx
    replied
    Originally posted by darkonix View Post

If you read the patches they have very detailed notes on what doesn't work, bug numbers and pending features proposed for upstream Rust.
    ... only two to three years after the fact, of the initial drop of SSE support.

And still only those that are aware of this lacking, are mostly those that code, compile, and/or debug, as many non-coders are still popping-up on bug lists, wondering why their Firefox or Seamonkey browser, or other core system utility will not run on their CPU of choice.

Kind of like robbing a bank, then admitting to it afterwards, implying they're not guilty of theft. Or how about buying my car and subsequently finding something is hideously wrong with the vehicle engine, and I state well I disclosed it within the fine print.

People get suckered into pulling dependencies, such as rust, so readily.

Leave a comment:

• betty567
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    LOL. No and no.

Yeah... Exactly like Rust.... It's pretty clear from just this sentence that you actually have no clue what you're talking about.

I'm not even claiming Rust is good or good for the kernel, but what you're saying is just laughably wrong.
    Then why don't you explain it all to us, Smitty?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X