DirectFB2 Is Modernizing DirectFB With Meson, Modularizing The Sources

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectFB2 Is Modernizing DirectFB With Meson, Modularizing The Sources

Phoronix: DirectFB2 Is Modernizing DirectFB With Meson, Modularizing The Sources

DirectFB2 is in development with work on it having started last year after the original DirectFB project ceased development a half-decade ago. While more embedded/mobile platforms have moved on from DirectFB and now targeting Wayland, DirectFB2 hopes to restore its viability for embedded systems...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...2-Presentation

First link is broken.

Comment

I had presumed that DirectFB users had migrated to DRM, rather than to a windowing system like X11 or Wayland.

What does DirectFB provide that DRM does not? Support for more hardware devices perhaps? Or simplicity?

Comment

Originally posted by lostdistance View Post
        I had presumed that DirectFB users had migrated to DRM, rather than to a windowing system like X11 or Wayland.

What does DirectFB provide that DRM does not? Support for more hardware devices perhaps? Or simplicity?
        I use DirectFB at work and we migrated to X11 for most of our users. We only run 1 application on an embedded device. We support a lot of different gpu vendors and some of them (nvidia in particular) has x11 specific graphics/video api. We do also direct passthrough of video rendering on some setups even on DirectFB through DRM.

Comment

Working...
        X