Linux 5.16.5 Released To Fix Up Btrfs' Botched Up Defragging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    At least with ZFS I know that if some new feature is merged into the main release it doesn't cause catastrophically embarrassing issues like this one.
    cultists can't distinguish knowledge from irrational beliefs

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post
      Rust-implemented filesystem - when?

Not meant as start of a flame war, but the language would be a good fit IMHO: statically compiled, no buffer under-/overruns, easily parallelizable for very high IOPS, ...
      What do you think? Seriuos discussion only, please.
      when you stop expecting others to implement your opinions and start doing it yourself. then you can learn that statically compiled no buffer overruns filesystem driver is faerie tale

Comment

Originally posted by Gonk View Post
        Every time I see a story about Btrfs I go and check out the status of Bcachefs.
        you'll not see stories about bcachefs because nobody uses it. and nobody uses it because nobody is developing it

Comment

Originally posted by dfyt View Post
          I have run BTRFS on and off over the last couple years and now as my root and home for the last 3 months. You can say what you want about it being tested for power failures etc. I have them regularly. Around 5x now my KDE toolbar gets stuffed up during a power failure where the desktop "resets" to defaults, plus having Steam games fail validation to the point I am SOOO tempted to go back to XFS. In 8 years never not once had any issues XFS and power failures - same with ZFS. IMO the ONLY reason I use BTRFS is for it's zstd compression, heck even dupremove doesn't work properly on btrfs. I would not recommend BTRFS for anything valuable and ensure you have a FULL system backup.
          This is quite different from my experience: btrfs is quite solid for me, even on faulty hardware (a power supply that often caused the shutdown of a mechanical hard disk). I am not saying that what you report is not true, but I think that there are some specific causes other btrfs..

Comment

Same here. Using it on my nas 24/7 since 4 years and Kernel 5.0 debuted. Unfortunately it runs over the same mains circuit as the kitchen. Once in a while when too much devices oven, water boiler..etc are running the fuse is triggered. The blackout on btrfs was an issues years ago but not now. So I can confirm for me blackouts never caused an issue. Usually I'm running a scrub immediately after a blackout but never got a reported mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

BTRFs on the other hand was originally created because Linux didn't have a CoW filesystem that they could use without possible legal issues.
              What were/are the legal issues with NILFS2?

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                cultists can't distinguish knowledge from irrational beliefs
                And apologists can't differentiate between something that works and something that breaks often which has has caused the Linux kernel to do hotfix releases because of broken behaviour/regressions multiple times like just now.

I am sorry but no one really cares about how fancy your new cow-btree implementation is when you don't even do basic fuzzy/property based testing (something that become standard decades ago) on a filesystem.

oleid and if you are curious, LinusTechTips is actually using TrueNAS (FreeBSD + ZFS) on their newest petabyte system so it seems that Linus changed his mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqZFcrQTZ_E
                Last edited by mdedetrich; 03 February 2022, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  you'll not see stories about bcachefs because nobody uses it. and nobody uses it because nobody is developing it
                  https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...rch&q=bcachefs

Comment

I'm using BTRFS on about a dozen systems at home and at work, including a departmental fileserver for ~5 years (atop hardware RAID-6). No issue, so far.

The fileserver also uses hourly snapshots. I guess we did have a slight issue with responsiveness, when snapshots would get deleted at a time when data turnover was running rather high. This was using 7200 RPM SAS drives, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by dfyt View Post
                      I would not recommend BTRFS for anything valuable and ensure you have a FULL system backup.
                      What kind of drives did you use? I typically use SSDs with power-loss protection. In the fileserver example I gave, the RAID controller has its own battery, and will store uncommitted writes across reboots.

You could also try using a shorter commit interval. The default seems to be 30 seconds. Maybe try adding commit=5 to your mount entry in /etc/fstab.

Comment

Working...
                      X