Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.17 Features From New AMD P-State To Xilinx Drivers, Lots Of New Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.17 Features From New AMD P-State To Xilinx Drivers, Lots Of New Hardware

Phoronix: Linux 5.17 Features From New AMD P-State To Xilinx Drivers, Lots Of New Hardware

This morning marked the release of Linux 5.17-rc1 that officially ends the merge window for this next stable kernel series. Linux 5.17 won't see its stable debut until around the end of March but there is a lot to get excited about for this open-source kernel in 2022.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I will stay on 5.16 from here on out now that there is Telemetry directly in the Kernel with 5.17. It is so weird that they have quietly slipped this in. There is no one talking about it anywhere. I say it is the beginning of the end for the Linux Kernel. We're going to see all kinds of Telemetry get added from here on out.

Comment

Originally posted by Setif
      I wish someday Linux will separate drivers from the kernel, so we will not rely on a certain kernel version for hardware support.
      if you want that I would recommend then to find a different kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by shanedav4 View Post
        I will stay on 5.16 from here on out now that there is Telemetry directly in the Kernel with 5.17. It is so weird that they have quietly slipped this in. There is no one talking about it anywhere. I say it is the beginning of the end for the Linux Kernel. We're going to see all kinds of Telemetry get added from here on out.
        It should be possible to disable this when compiling the kernel...

Comment

There is nothing more idiotic then people who yelp at the mere mention of telemetry. Telemetry itself is a good thing. the only bad thing about telemetry is when you don't know what it collects, and when you cannot disable it.

Comment

I will stay on 5.16 from here on out
            this sounds like a very poor strategy seeing as how 5.16 isn't going to be supported for very long

Comment

Beginning of the end? Quietly slipped in? Telemetry directly in the kernel? Hold your horses there. "Quietly", "no one talking about it anywhere"? It has been mentioned in the patches themselves, as well as in the Phoronix articles + their forum threads. Besides. May I quote directly from the patches themselves?

This driver allows user space to fetch telemetry data from the firmware with the help of the Platform Firmware Runtime Telemetry interface.
              This is NOT a plot to "quietly make the Linux kernel send of all your data to Big Tech 😱😱😱", this is an addition meant for things like administrators of server farms or similar things. And no telemetry was added, the ability to fetch it from user space was added.

Also, if you still want to stay away from Linux 5.17 (even though you could also just not compile the kernel with that feature enabled!), you should downgrade to 5.15, since 5.15 is an LTS kernel.

Comment

I'd missed the news about the C7H sensor stuff being mainlined at last. Now just waiting on support for setting fan speeds. It's a shame Asus doesn't contribute anything useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  There is nothing more idiotic then people who yelp at the mere mention of telemetry. Telemetry itself is a good thing. the only bad thing about telemetry is when you don't know what it collects, and when you cannot disable it.
                  Yea but with telemetry, people can't claim that a feature that's only used by them and 100 other people worldwide is actually super vital and used by most people.

Comment

Any news on the new NTFS kernel driver that arrived in 5.15?

Optimisations/fixes/feedback/distro adoption/etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X