Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F2FS With Linux 5.17 Makes Some Performance Improvements

Phoronix: F2FS With Linux 5.17 Makes Some Performance Improvements

F2FS as the Flash-Friendly File-System may not see too much use out of desktop Linux distributions at least as it concerns any easy/semi-endorsed root install option, but this file-system does continue maturing and seeing much use by enthusiasts and especially among the plethora of Android devices now supporting this flash-optimized file-system. With Linux 5.17, F2FS has some performance improvements and other fixes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

> Do you actively use the #F2FS file-system?

Yes, but I don't use Twitter. ;-) I've used F2FS for years on every eMMC and SSD system I've used (~10) with Arch (2009 I think?). And for /boot since Jaegeuk Kim's F2FS GRUB patch (circa 2015). Of course EFI(STUB) requires fat32...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post

... especially among the plethora of Android devices now supporting this flash-optimized file-system.
      I was very surprised when my Galaxy S21 didn't recognize the F2FS drive I plugged in. Totally expected it to work since Samsung developed this filesystem.
      Last edited by numasan; 19 January 2022, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwh7 View Post
        > Do you actively use the #F2FS file-system?

Yes, but I don't use Twitter. ;-) I've used F2FS for years on every eMMC and SSD system I've used (~10) with Arch (2009 I think?). And for /boot since Jaegeuk Kim's F2FS GRUB patch (circa 2015). Of course EFI(STUB) requires fat32...
        Same boat, except I skip GRUB and use EFISTUB instead. My first SSD was only after UEFI was really Universal.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

I was very surprised when my Galaxy S21 didn't recognize the F2FS drive I plugged in. Totally expected it to work since Samsung developed this filesystem.
          Android doesn't work like linux distro.
          Contribute to null4n/vold-posix development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by numasan View Post

yeah this is an android in general issue, the samsung will recognize it, and if you have root you can even mount it, but android's userspace storage daemon still doesn't mount anything but fat filesystems I believe, (maybe ntfs too?)

Comment

I used F2FS and it's very stable, and works good, but grub has a nasty bug that corrupts the EFI every few boots, so I have to reinstall EXT4. Some day when I have time I'll move to the systemd boot loader.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeioth View Post
                I used F2FS and it's very stable, and works good, but grub has a nasty bug that corrupts the EFI every few boots, so I have to reinstall EXT4. Some day when I have time I'll move to the systemd boot loader.
                i've been using refind myself with zero issues. maybe that could be another potential avenue?

Comment

I used F2FS on my laptop for five years. It was fast and I had zero problems. Eventually I got a new SSD and switched to BTRFS for the block checksums.

I can vouch for systemd-boot. I've been using it since it was called gummiboot. It's dead simple to install and troubleshoot because there's not much to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

yeah this is an android in general issue, the samsung will recognize it, and if you have root you can even mount it, but android's userspace storage daemon still doesn't mount anything but fat filesystems I believe, (maybe ntfs too?)
                    Samsung phones will mount exfat filesystems too, but for stock android those are your only two options.

This is one of many reasons I continue to only purchase phones with an unlockable bootloader; vold on my device is patched to mount ntfs as well as ext4

Comment

Working...
                    X