No announcement yet.

F2FS With Linux 5.17 Makes Some Performance Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been using it for /root since 2020, works great. I switched because ext4 was starting to choke when writing tons (500k+) of small files in short periods, and it seemed faster and leaner than btrfs. So far, it benches well, and the fsck seems robust with the extra checksumming enabled.

Its has some usability quirks though. For instance, grub refuses to use it for /boot, it runs startup fsck way more than it should, you still can't shrink partitions, and compression doesnt save space. Some of the features are somewhat poorly documented, like compress_cache (which I inexplicably cant seem to enable), the filetype extension limit, and some gc features.

That Windows driver they mentioned on the dev page would be great too.
    Last edited by brucethemoose; 20 January 2022, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Nope, I don't use it, and never even experimented using it..

Don't know about support for it in fdisk,parted,mkfs, etc..?

Would be nice to have a speed comparison between both ext4 and f2fs..

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Same boat, except I skip GRUB and use EFISTUB instead. My first SSD was only after UEFI was really Universal.
        Same here. Arch with f2fs on / + EFISTUB on x86 and on RPI with f2fs on /. Both on SSD.

Comment

F2FS with efistub (gentoo) for me on my 980 pro. Although I have recently started using refind to correctly set framebuffer resolution on my nvidia card

Comment

Working...
          X