Linux 5.17: Quicker Mount Times For XFS, Few New Features For EXT4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.17: Quicker Mount Times For XFS, Few New Features For EXT4

Phoronix: Linux 5.17: Quicker Mount Times For XFS, Few New Features For EXT4

In addition to the Btrfs updates, the EXT4 and XFS file-system maintainers submitted their feature changes already for the in-development Linux 5.17 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like articles about gnome are held back. Why is that?

Comment

Linux 5.17 will be an epic release.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Linux 5.17: Quicker Mount Times For XFS, Few New Features For EXT4

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The main feature change for XFS with Linux 5.17 is the mount code only trying to free stale CoW staging extents if the file-system unmounted cleanly. In turn this means XFS mount times should be lower, especially for file-systems supporting reflinks and having a large number of allocation groups...
        uncleanly

Comment

XFS & EXT4 are the only file-systems I would recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
            Obviously it is a conspiracy against GNOME, Phoronix is a well-known KDE shill after all.

/s

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
              Nah, I'm cool with my f2fs on my SSDs.

Comment

Originally posted by HD7950 View Post
                For me it's Ext4, F2FS, and ZFS; or simple stuff, specific media, advanced stuff. For simple stuff, XFS and Ext4 are basically tied in my mind.

Well, I'd suggest and use Reiser4/5 for simple stuff if it had better support; was in-kernel. Michael, I don't know if you are aware of this, but the ass-end of the Wikipedia page for Reiser4 is them writing about your assumptions.

Comment

How fast are we talking about? I recently switched to XFS (on my new PC) for the first time ever and it's already much, much faster compared to EXT4. In fact, it's almost *too* fast. So am I even going to notice the difference when 5.17 lands?

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                    WTF are you talking about? This is an article about the kernel, specifically filesystems.

Comment

Working...
                    X