Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-libre 5.16 Brings More Firmware Cleansing, Deblobbing

Phoronix: GNU Linux-libre 5.16 Brings More Firmware Cleansing, Deblobbing

Following yesterday's release of Linux 5.16, the GNU folks have released GNU Linux-libre 5.16-gnu as their downstream that removes/disables any code depending upon non-open-source firmware/microcode binaries, the ability to load proprietary kernel modules, and other cleaning in the name of free software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If only devices didn't require loadable firmware just to operate...

Comment

Still runs on Hardware with built-in spy coprocessors and firmware and thus not really promoting "libre", I will be kind and label this effort as a bad joke.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
        Still runs on Hardware with built-in spy coprocessors and firmware and thus not really promoting "libre", I will be kind and label this effort as a bad joke.
        That outside the scope of the kernel.

Comment

"Free software sometimes runs alongside non-free software so no one should ever make free software" - is the stupidest of all the incredibly stupid arguments I've seen against linux-libre on this site over the years.

Bravo.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

"Free software sometimes runs alongside non-free software so no one should ever make free software" - is the stupidest of all the incredibly stupid arguments I've seen against linux-libre on this site over the years.

Bravo.
            Exactly, linux-libre ridicules itself. Whats the difference if firmware is stored on Rom vs loaded from your disk?

Comment

This is the most pointless freedom-theater I've ever seen.

Comment

That's why it's called ‘Linux’-libre instead of ‘hardware-libre’. Linux is just a kernel on top of all of that stuff. If you want everything to be libre, you have to start somewhere. In this case, they started with the kernel, since that's a lot easier to deblob than coming over to everyone's house and modify their PC internals.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
                  This is the most pointless freedom-theater I've ever seen.
                  I used to mock the releases of Linux Libre but then stopped. I don't know anyone who actually uses them, so let's just skip them altogether and talk about something more interesting. People who enjoy them seemingly don't understand the real world and also the fact that pretty much everything already contains firmware: CPU, GPU, motherboard (UEFI), SSD/HDD, DVD/BluRay (some people still use them), LAN NIC, Wi-Fi, BlueTooth, and sound card.

Comment

Exactly, linux-libre ridicules itself. Whats the difference if firmware is stored on Rom vs loaded from your disk?
                    The difference is that in the latter case, only the firmware vendor is capable of updating the firmware much like any proprietary software and in the former case, everyone is on equal footing at the software level. FSF considers this distinction relevant and someone has volunteered to do the work. While I will not use it, I don't think it is ridiculous to highlight the presence of binary blobs within otherwise GPL software.

Comment

Working...
                    X