Clear All

• pal666
    replied
    futex2 in time for steam deck

Leave a comment:

• Danny3
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

5.16 in 22.04 sure would be great, but 5.17 would've been more great as it also contains a lot of network improvements. Not only end-users, but also companies running 22.04 LTS would love that.
    I agree!
    5.17 would be perfect.

Leave a comment:

• lutel
    replied
    On AMD (Rome), Gentoo installed on VMWARE, I've noticed PostgreSQL performance regression on 5.16, system feels less responsive than on old LTS (5.10.90):

5.10.90: # pgbench -c 16 -j 8 -T 60 pgbench -U postgres
    pgbench (14.1)
    starting vacuum...end.
    transaction type: <builtin: TPC-B (sort of)>
    scaling factor: 1
    query mode: simple
    number of clients: 16
    number of threads: 8
    duration: 60 s
    number of transactions actually processed: 447273
    latency average = 2.146 ms
    initial connection time = 7.074 ms
    tps = 7455.146163 (without initial connection time)

5.16.0: # pgbench -c 16 -j 8 -T 60 pgbench -U postgres
    pgbench (14.1)
    starting vacuum...end.
    transaction type: <builtin: TPC-B (sort of)>
    scaling factor: 1
    query mode: simple
    number of clients: 16
    number of threads: 8
    duration: 60 s
    number of transactions actually processed: 430771
    latency average = 2.228 ms
    initial connection time = 7.669 ms
    tps = 7180.173653 (without initial connection time)
    Last edited by lutel; 11 January 2022, 02:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    I've always wondered about Linux's high adoption rate in Russia. Is there some kind of all-of-country push to use it?
    but the windows monopoly is worst in russia than in germany.... not because of linux but because of the higher apple marketshare.
    because of this in my point of view the situation in russia is worst than in germany..

i read it like this in germany microsoft has some decent competition and in russia microsoft has the absolute monopole.

and sure i hope russia has some more linux adoption.. this monopole of microsoft is the worst

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post

Are you blind or are you blind?

Germany:

Russia:
    thank you for the numbers and graphics but man it looks like i become old because at the bottom the numbers/graphics is not very helpfull for me
    would be nice to gave some %%% numbers writen.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    A human readable changelog: https://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_5.16

Wow, seemingly zero changes in nouveau
    Since Nvidia no longer has any presence in the low-end market it's not so much of a big deal. Not that low-end dGPUs ever made sense in the first place.

It's still at least good enough to drive a display. Unless it's on Optimus where dri prime still breaks Chrome and Plasma.

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post
    The funniest thing about open source in general and Linux in particular is that it's so much more popular in Russia than anywhere else.

Consider the opennet.ru website where the news piece for this kernel release has already seen 166 comments vs just 20 here despite Phoronix being an international website for the entire world.

And this doesn't include LOR where the news is yet to be published (they normally quickly follow opennet.ru but not today for some reasons).
    I've always wondered about Linux's high adoption rate in Russia. Is there some kind of all-of-country push to use it?

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    Originally posted by qarium View Post

right but last time i checked germany had the highest marketshare of linux if you watch web site statistics...
    Are you blind or are you blind?

Germany:

Russia:

Leave a comment:

• qarium
    replied
    Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post
    There exists no such reliable numbers, all that one can do is look at web site statistics but even that is not giving an accurate picture.
    right but last time i checked germany had the highest marketshare of linux if you watch web site statistics...

Leave a comment:

• F.Ultra
    replied
    Originally posted by qarium View Post

maybe we have some new marketshare numbers but last time i checked it germany had the highest marketshare in linux compared to windows and macos...

so please show me marketshare numbers that proof the point that russia is at NR1 place in opensource/linux usage...
    There exists no such reliable numbers, all that one can do is look at web site statistics but even that is not giving an accurate picture.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X