• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yuzhao@chromium.org
    replied
    Originally posted by xAlt7x View Post
    [email protected]
    I discovered that MgLRU patchset is incompatible with configuration item "Enable Maximum number of SMP Processors and NUMA Nodes"
    Code:
    depends on !MAXSMP
    Most users and servers don't really need it but at least 2 big distros (Fedora & Ubuntu) already enabled this option for their standard kernels.
    I guess it could be a serious blocker for a mass adoption...
    Thanks. MAXSMP is for kernel developers to test the kernel. Those machines may exist but I've never heard anybody actually tested the kernel on them.

Personally, I've never tested MGLRU on those machines, and I highly doubt Fedora or Ubuntu tested their kernels on them. The difference I don't give users things I've never tested

Details on MAXSMP:

> The MAXSMP option is intended to enable silly large numbers of CPUs for
    > testing purposes. The current value of 4096 isn't very silly any longer
    > as there are actual machines that approach 6096 CPUs when taking HT into
    > account. Increase the value to 8192 to account for this and short term
    > future increases.

Leave a comment:

• xAlt7x
    replied
    [email protected]
    I discovered that MgLRU patchset is incompatible with configuration item "Enable Maximum number of SMP Processors and NUMA Nodes"
    Code:
    depends on !MAXSMP
    Most users and servers don't really need it but at least 2 big distros (Fedora & Ubuntu) already enabled this option for their standard kernels.
    I guess it could be a serious blocker for a mass adoption...
    Last edited by xAlt7x; 16 January 2022, 09:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• yuzhao@chromium.org
    replied
    Originally posted by V1tol View Post
    Using that v5 for some time and confirm that difference under heavy load and memory pressure is significant.
    Thanks for letting us know!

I'd be delighted to acknowledge your effort by having you in a "Tested-by" tag, if you could PM me your email address.

Quoting the official Linux doc:
    A Tested-by: tag indicates that the patch has been successfully tested (in some environment) by the person named. This tag informs maintainers that some testing has been performed, provides a means to locate testers for future patches, and ensures credit for the testers.

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    Originally posted by coder View Post
    Tagging Michael is the best way to bring it to his attention. He seems to read most posts which tag him.
    I will do that in the future. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    Hopefully I can shine a light regarding the accessibility issues.
    Tagging Michael is the best way to bring it to his attention. He seems to read most posts which tag him.

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    Thanks guys for the compliment. The reason why accessibility is important is to make it easier for those using screen reader to navigate through websites. Phoronix website is poor for accessibility use, so I cannot use the "H" key to navigate between the list of articles. For screen readers, the "H" key is for navigating between headers (H1 to H6 in HTML). Here is a part of the Phoronix website that does not make use of Hx elements ("x" meaning 1 to 6, where "h1" is for the title of the website).

Code:
    </article><article style="clear: both;">
      <header>&lt;a href="...">WirePlumber 0.4.6 Released For Managing PipeWire</a></header>
      <div class="details">6 January 01:11 PM EST - ... - WirePlumber Session Manager<span class="comments"> - <a href="...">17 Comments</a></span></div><p>...</p>

</article>
    Notice that there is a header tag, but that is a feature introduced by HTML5. According to the article here:
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...Element/header

The <header> HTML element represents introductory content, typically a group of introductory or navigational aids. It may contain some heading elements but also a logo, a search form, an author name, and other elements.
    I believe the header tag is suppose to represent the header of the main website. An hgroup tag is designed for sections of an article.
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...Element/hgroup

And of course, a web page with Hx tags (H1 to H6) must follow the outline. For example:

Code:
    H1: Phoronix
      H2: List of blog articles
        H3: Linux 5.16 Graphics...
        H3: MGLRU Is A Very Enticing Enhancement...
        H3: Sway 1.7 Nears...
      H2: Most Popular News This Week
        (List of popular news articles this week using ul/li elements...)
      H2: Popular in the Forums
        (List of popular forum topics using ul/li elements...)
    Visual styles alone cannot communicate to the screen reader how it's communicated to the blind/vision loss users that browse the Internet, so navigating the Phoronix website can make it a bit difficult for those using a screen reader. In the example above, If a user of a screen reader is viewing the list of articles below the H2 "List of blog articles" section, to get to the "Most Popular News This Week" section, a user can press the "2" key to get to the next section of the website. To go back to the previous H2 element, a user can do "Shift+2" to return to the list of blog articles.

Hopefully I can shine a light regarding the accessibility issues.

Update: I was going to convert the "<" to "&lt;" but it seems that HTML does not do the converting; mostly because the forum software kept the encoding as it is. Interesting. I cleaned it up.
    Last edited by GraysonPeddie; 09 January 2022, 07:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• coder
    replied
    Michael
    I've decided to type this out for those who are using a screen reader.
    Wow! Yeah, I hadn't even considered that might be an embedded image. Right on.

P.S. I don't know if it helps with screen readers, but I love how PTS uses SVG. It really helps to be able to zoom the graphs, when the text is a bit too small. That you can copy & paste text & numbers right out of them is another huge benefit.
    Last edited by coder; 09 January 2022, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• alex19EP
    replied
    Accessibility for those who have vision loss or are totally blind is important to me. I hope I can be of help to those who use a screen reader.
    thank you.

Leave a comment:

• GraysonPeddie
    replied
    I've decided to type this out for those who are using a screen reader. This is important for those with severe vision loss and those who are completely blind. This is in reference to the paragraph below:

The most important information for Linux end-users if not concerned with all the technical details about Multi-Gen LRU:
    (The text below from the screenshot are as follows...)

Summery
    =======
    The facts area:
    1. The independent lab results and the real-world applications indicate substantial improvements; there are no known regressions.
    2. Thrashing prevention, working set estimation and proactive reclaim work out of the box; there are no equivalent solutions.
    3. There is a lot of new code; nobody has demonstrated smaller changes with similar effects.

Our options, accordingly, are:
    1. Given the amount of evidence, the reported improvements will likely materialize for a wide range of workloads.
    2. Gouging the interest from the past discussions [14][15][16], the new features will likely be put to use for both personal computers and data centers.
    3. Based on Google's track record, the new code will likely be well maintained in the long term. It'd be more difficult it not impossible to achieve similar effects on top of the existing design.
    Accessibility for those who have vision loss or are totally blind is important to me. I hope I can be of help to those who use a screen reader.

Leave a comment:

• abu_shawarib
    replied
    Good looking.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X