MGLRU Is A Very Enticing Enhancement For Linux In 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    Hopefully I can shine a light regarding the accessibility issues.
    Tagging Michael is the best way to bring it to his attention. He seems to read most posts which tag him.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Tagging Michael is the best way to bring it to his attention. He seems to read most posts which tag him.
      I will do that in the future. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
        Using that v5 for some time and confirm that difference under heavy load and memory pressure is significant.
        Thanks for letting us know!

I'd be delighted to acknowledge your effort by having you in a "Tested-by" tag, if you could PM me your email address.

Quoting the official Linux doc:
        A Tested-by: tag indicates that the patch has been successfully tested (in some environment) by the person named. This tag informs maintainers that some testing has been performed, provides a means to locate testers for future patches, and ensures credit for the testers.

Comment

[email protected]
          I discovered that MgLRU patchset is incompatible with configuration item "Enable Maximum number of SMP Processors and NUMA Nodes"
          Code:
          depends on !MAXSMP
          Most users and servers don't really need it but at least 2 big distros (Fedora & Ubuntu) already enabled this option for their standard kernels.
          I guess it could be a serious blocker for a mass adoption...
          Last edited by xAlt7x; 16 January 2022, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xAlt7x View Post
            [email protected]
            I discovered that MgLRU patchset is incompatible with configuration item "Enable Maximum number of SMP Processors and NUMA Nodes"
            Code:
            depends on !MAXSMP
            Most users and servers don't really need it but at least 2 big distros (Fedora & Ubuntu) already enabled this option for their standard kernels.
            I guess it could be a serious blocker for a mass adoption...
            Thanks. MAXSMP is for kernel developers to test the kernel. Those machines may exist but I've never heard anybody actually tested the kernel on them.

Personally, I've never tested MGLRU on those machines, and I highly doubt Fedora or Ubuntu tested their kernels on them. The difference I don't give users things I've never tested

Details on MAXSMP:

> The MAXSMP option is intended to enable silly large numbers of CPUs for
            > testing purposes. The current value of 4096 isn't very silly any longer
            > as there are actual machines that approach 6096 CPUs when taking HT into
            > account. Increase the value to 8192 to account for this and short term
            > future increases.

Comment

Working...
            X