Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThinkPad ACPI Driver Picking Up New Features With Linux 5.17

Phoronix: ThinkPad ACPI Driver Picking Up New Features With Linux 5.17

For those running Linux on Lenovo ThinkPad laptops, the upcoming Linux 5.17 cycle is set to bring a few improvements to the "thinkpad_acpi" driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Lenovo uses fwupd/LVFS which is really nice!
    But so does Dell, and I think Dell probably is the best choice for a Linux laptop. That or system76.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Lenovo uses fwupd/LVFS which is really nice!
      But so does Dell, and I think Dell probably is the best choice for a Linux laptop. That or system76.
      Interesting. Why do you think Dell is a better choice? I've been kinda in love with Thinkpads for years because I find their support for Linux quite good. I'm guessing system76 has to do with being more free, to the firmware level, right?

Comment

Regarding the patches: anyone knows if this can set the behavior for the computer being suspended or powered off? It would be quite convenient to avoid having to unplug the computer on full charge to extend battery lifespan, but I'd like to know if this applies only when the computer is actually in use.

Comment

No other laptops match Thinkpad T series in terms of reliability and general quality.
          I've been using them for many years under a lot of stress. Dell is more shiny but it's not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Interesting. Why do you think Dell is a better choice? I've been kinda in love with Thinkpads for years because I find their support for Linux quite good. I'm guessing system76 has to do with being more free, to the firmware level, right?
            Dell has their XPS 13 Developer Edition so they seem rather serious about Linux.
            ThinkPad is now owned by a Chinese company, I don't trust it as much as Dell.
            system76 has support for coreboot.

Comment

Dell has their XPS 13 Developer Edition so they seem rather serious about Linux.
              Hmmm, I'll check that out. Thanks!

ThinkPad is now owned by a Chinese company, I don't trust it as much as Dell.
              I don't particularly care about that, but I guess it makes sense.

system76 has support for coreboot.
              Yes, that's what I meant. Many ThinkPad models are supported tho, I'm guessing your point is that it's official and shipped with it, right?

Comment

I bought a ThinkPad Yoga 12" some years ago, which after a few years started refusing to boot with a series of beeps, and recently bought a ThinkPad T15g Gen 2 - where I'm struggling with whatever SSD is in the nvme1 slot not resuming from sleep (reported by several others on their forum as well). I dunno man, the ThinkPad is still a top contender, but Lenovo quality sure isn't what it used to be. I'm glad to see this support though... being able to set the battery to 80% for longevity if it spends most of it's life on AC (which mine does) is a great feature I miss under Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                  Yes, that's what I meant. Many ThinkPad models are supported tho, I'm guessing your point is that it's official and shipped with it, right?
                  Only very old ThinkPad has Coreboot support. Not any new, not any official, only very old.

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
                    I bought a ThinkPad Yoga 12" some years ago, which after a few years started refusing to boot with a series of beeps, and recently bought a ThinkPad T15g Gen 2 - where I'm struggling with whatever SSD is in the nvme1 slot not resuming from sleep (reported by several others on their forum as well). I dunno man, the ThinkPad is still a top contender, but Lenovo quality sure isn't what it used to be. I'm glad to see this support though... being able to set the battery to 80% for longevity if it spends most of it's life on AC (which mine does) is a great feature I miss under Linux.
                    The so-called "Battery Conservation Mode" works fine for my ThinkBook. It charges the battery up to around 60% and keeps it there.
                    Give it a try: ArchWiki

Comment

Working...
                    X