Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zstd 1.5.1 Released With Even More Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Zstd 1.5.1 Released With Even More Performance Improvements

Zstandard 1.5.1 is now available as the latest release of this widely-used data compression algorithm backed by Facebook that delivers on great performance. With the new release, performance is even better...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And it works on m68k now! Hurray! Many thanks to upstream for taking that seriously.

Comment

I never use Facebook nor Instagram or any of their products and consider them very evil (and fatal for teenagers), but Zstd is their only good product.

Btrfs is a total failure.

Congratulations, Facebook = META. You did something good, finally

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        I never use Facebook nor Instagram or any of their products and consider them very evil (and fatal for teenagers), but Zstd is their only good product.

Btrfs is a total failure.

Congratulations, Facebook = META. You did something good, finally
        Btrfs is a nice product when used wisely.
        It saved me from memory failure by mandating checksums on data.Otherwise I would suffer from silent data corruptions.
        Now I'm using it whenever possible due to the fears of future hardware problems. (But I never use its fancy but counter-intuitive features).

Comment

When will this batch reach the kernel for the btrfs+zstd?

Comment

Originally posted by zxy_thf View Post
            Btrfs is a nice product when used wisely.
            It saved me from memory failure by mandating checksums on data.Otherwise I would suffer from silent data corruptions.
            Now I'm using it whenever possible due to the fears of future hardware problems. (But I never use its fancy but counter-intuitive features).
            I disagree.

I consider critical stuff like a filesystem ought to work nicely without tuning, with sane defaults and all available features working nicely. If tuning and avoiding features is mandatory for a harmless experience, it's not good at all.

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
              When will this batch reach the kernel for the btrfs+zstd?
              Kernel 5.16 has ZSTD 1.5.

Kernel 5.17 will have 1.5.1.

Comment

Now I wish the kernel part will be upgraded to this version ASAP!
                Hopefully it's easy to do it and it will be available in 5.17.
                With this, the other IO and networking improvements and what is inherited from the previous kernel, 5.17 should be amazing!

Comment

Must say this is turning into one of the most pleasing projects to watch grow. My kind of ASMR.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

I disagree.

I consider critical stuff like a filesystem ought to work nicely without tuning, with sane defaults and all available features working nicely. If tuning and avoiding features is mandatory for a harmless experience, it's not good at all.
                    Nobody knows magic (yet) and different use cases require different settings (or magic). That's why sane filesystems have safest defaults that can be tuned for specific use cases.

Comment

Working...
                    X