OpenPrinting Releases CUPS 2.4 With AirPrint, OAuth 2.0 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post
    CUPS isn't going away for a while. Any device or installation that doesn't support network printing will be using it. Things like IPP, WSD, eSCL and the like make multifunction devices capable of driverless operation, which is great. Assuming you've enabled self-discovery or put the DNS records in yourself.
    No there is a mistake here. Devices that don't support network printing are still coming out driverless.

ipp everywhere has over USB.

There are to base groups developing driverless printer support. Airprint that is the apple one and the IPP Everywhere. Yes a IPP Everywhere usb can be exposed as a Airprint over network by using CUPS on Linux.

AirPrint-certified is simple for people to understand because it the same name as the standard. Mopria-certified is basically the IPP Everywhere standard certified. 98% 2D of new printers made now be them network or USB have one or the other certifications. Yes a lot of network printers have both certifications. Yes there are a hell load of Mopria certified USB only printers out there.

I see apple users going to need CUPS for quite some time most likely running on some Linux box like a raspberry pi todo translation from theUSB IPP Everywhere/Mopria stuff to apple Airprint. Of course at some update of Mac OS/iOS I do expect they will pick up USB IPP everywhere support as well as they have already picked up IPP Everywhere network support.

The 2D printers that being made new that are not AirPrint or Mopria are mostly items like Receipt printers these have a older standards so are also fairly close to plug and go.

Printers that are not driverless are legacy items in the majority of cases. For home and Office users this is almost 100% driverless printers new its a really rare home user buying a new printer that is not driverless.

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
    Frankly the status of 'driverless' printing is way ahead of 'driverless' video-conferencing. And scanning usually works.

I want to walk into a conference room and my laptop to seamlessly integrate the expensive screen, camera, microphones and speakers into whatever video-conference I set up. None of the proprietary nonsense of needing a particular manufacturer's software to drive their kit. Right now conferencing is a car-crash of incompatibilities and crazy UI models. Standardisation and commodification is needed.
    Driver-less printing and scanning come down to two groups. IPP Everywhere/Mopria and Airprint/Apple. So yes driverless printing and scanning is well ahead to the point we don't only standards for printing and scanning we have certification bodies one being apple and the other being Mopria to say the printer is to specification and will work.

We are seeing movement on the cameras More and more new cameras are coming out UVC supporting. We still lack something like a CUPS/PAPPL here to work as a translation layer and we do really lack the hardware as well like where do you find a open hardware device that supports USB 3.0 in and has a USB 3.0 device port as well.

I do agree there are other areas we do need standards in. Some of this needs people to stop buying the non standard products to send message to hardware makers that we are not interested in devices that don't support the standard. Yes capture devices and cameras and stream decks with UVC people are marching with their wallets so vendor that don't support driverless setup are slowly but surely losing sales.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

No there is a mistake here. Devices that don't support network printing are still coming out driverless.

ipp everywhere has over USB.
      Good to see IPP works for non-network printing. Slightly annoyed that they couldn't adjust nomenclature to deal with it, since "Internet Printing Protocol" over USB sounds goofy, but whatever. Driverless devices are less hassle. I haven't bought any printer hardware without a NIC on it in years simply because network printers are more likely to have driverless support and adhere to modern standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrablit View Post

Good to see IPP works for non-network printing. Slightly annoyed that they couldn't adjust nomenclature to deal with it, since "Internet Printing Protocol" over USB sounds goofy, but whatever. Driverless devices are less hassle. I haven't bought any printer hardware without a NIC on it in years simply because network printers are more likely to have driverless support and adhere to modern standards.
        Same here, with the added refinement of a [cabled Ethernet] NIC. After the frustrations of trying to print using a wireless connection with a weak signal over severely congested WiFi spectrum (over 100 independent base-stations), I realised that cabled connections 'just worked'. So the printer is cabled to the WiFi base-station/router. There's also a lot of printers around here advertising themselves as gateways into other people's networks. A WiFi connected printer advertising printing services to all is certainly convenient for many people, and requires little set-up (plug in the power and play), but doesn't mesh nicely with my use-case, which is not the same as other people's. So the opportunity to choose is good, and I am glad to have the option of choosing a cabled connection.

Obviously, you can do the same with a small server (which could be on the WiFi base station/router) attached via USB. The benefit there is that you get to choose the network-aware printer sharing software (and keep it up to date), rather than whatever the printer manufacturer has chosen to apply, but the downside is USB has (in general, without special adapters) a shorter range than cabled Ethernet. With my security hat on, I would prefer to have control over the print server software rather than relying on the printer manufacturer. CVEs come out more frequently than printer firmware gets updates, in my experience. YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
          Wasn't CUPS basically just a complete disaster to the point where you're better off just passthroughing your printer to a VM?
          I dunno wtf you're talking about. Works fine with every printer I've thrown at it.

The only annoyance I have with CUPS is the inability to print a file with spaces in the filename. Gets lost somewhere in the janky mess of perl and "succeeds" without actually printing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
            I dunno wtf you're talking about. Works fine with every printer I've thrown at it.

The only annoyance I have with CUPS is the inability to print a file with spaces in the filename. Gets lost somewhere in the janky mess of perl and "succeeds" without actually printing anything.
            Thinking I pdf print with cups to files with spaces and send files to print que all the time with spaces and have no problem on debian using cups there has be something in your setup causing this mess.

I don't have any janky perl. My cups pdf printer is a c program. cups-pdf. Jacky mess of perl?????? my complete cups setup has no perl.

Yes there was a old print to PDF script I used a long time ago that was perl and its been unsupported for over a decade and is mega buggy are you still using that?

Comment

Thinking I pdf print with cups to files with spaces and send files to print que all the time with spaces and have no problem on debian using cups there has be something in your setup causing this mess.

I don't have any janky perl. My cups pdf printer is a c program. cups-pdf. Jacky mess of perl?????? my complete cups setup has no perl.

Yes there was a old print to PDF script I used a long time ago that was perl and its been unsupported for over a decade and is mega buggy are you still using that?
              I'm running a standard installation of CUPS on a raspberry pi with a Brother HL-2240 and associated PPD file. I traced the logs into some pile of perl being used for postscript formatting and preparation(?) in the printer driver backend before giving up and just never using spaces in the filename.

Comment

I'm running a standard installation of CUPS on a raspberry pi with a Brother HL-2240 and associated PPD file. I traced the logs into some pile of perl being used for postscript formatting and preparation(?) in the printer driver backend before giving up and just never using spaces in the filename.

That printer has two possible printer drivers with cups. The default(hl1250) is a ghostscript one that can be bad there is a reason the vendor released it in 2000 with a update in 2001 so its good luck if some update to ghostscript has not broken it somewhere so causing some jank behavour. Yes the hpijs-pcl5e option for that printer should print file names with spaces in no problems yes hp still regularly does sanity checks on this driver.

Fairly much when you are seeing perl with a cups printer driver you are normally using a printer driver that has not had support for a decade or more. Yes good time to go and look up the open printing database to see if their is a maintained printer driver.

As I said there had to be something in your setup causing the mess. I did not spot it straight way because I did not have the model of the printer. There is such thing as too old of driver to be useful.

After I saw this I notice that I had changed the printer I am using a long time ago from the ghostscript printer driver to the HP hpijs-pcl5e one along time ago as well. I cannot remember what was broken then might have been the same thing.(yes I have a different model and brand printer and its not HP)

There is a insane number of not HP printers under Linux that you use the HP printer drivers for.

Comment

That printer has two possible printer drivers with cups. The default(hl1250) is a ghostscript one that can be bad there is a reason the vendor released it in 2000 with a update in 2001 so its good luck if some update to ghostscript has not broken it somewhere so causing some jank behavour. Yes the hpijs-pcl5e option for that printer should print file names with spaces in no problems yes hp still regularly does sanity checks on this driver.

Fairly much when you are seeing perl with a cups printer driver you are normally using a printer driver that has not had support for a decade or more. Yes good time to go and look up the open printing database to see if their is a maintained printer driver.

As I said there had to be something in your setup causing the mess. I did not spot it straight way because I did not have the model of the printer. There is such thing as too old of driver to be useful.

After I saw this I notice that I had changed the printer I am using a long time ago from the ghostscript printer driver to the HP hpijs-pcl5e one along time ago as well. I cannot remember what was broken then might have been the same thing.(yes I have a different model and brand printer and its not HP)

There is a insane number of not HP printers under Linux that you use the HP printer drivers for.
                  To switch from hl1250 to hpijs-pcl5e for testing, what is needed? Just a different PPD file? (and maybe an extra package or two for the hp drivers?)

Comment

To switch from hl1250 to hpijs-pcl5e for testing, what is needed? Just a different PPD file? (and maybe an extra package or two for the hp drivers?)

Yes you will need the hp drivers installed otherwise the hpijs ppd is not going to work. Yes hpijs is still a ghostscript driver by the way just a modern sane one that does not use perl. So functionality wise between driver options should be exactly the same other than the hp one does not have the bugs caused by perl.

Yes once you have hp driver on you system by the way lot distributions install hp drivers by default because of how often they are the solution its just use a different PPD file yes the PPD file you can download straight from open printing if you don't get a option just by installing the hp printer driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X